• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

so angry!!! a friend upset me over rabbits

Alpha

Warren Scout
:censored: I am so so annoyed. A friend of mine contacted me a while back asking for my advice re getting her 2 young children pet rabbits. Of course i advised against it but she insisted so i gave her the names and addresses of a few rescuse places. She couldnt be bothered to wait for the right bonded pair or the house check so she went ahead and got two babies off a breeder. THEN my god she rings me up and said help i got babies. I was really annoyed with her at that stage. Then it got worse. I rang her earlier today and she said they have had a second litter of babies and she rehomed the others she doesnt know what she is going to do with these ones..........MY GOD can u imagine my face!!!:censored: She then proceeds to tell me in the mean time she has had the male neutered. But her daughter who is 5 yrs old wants to get rid of the mother and keep one of the babies becuse she prefers the colour well by this stage my blood was boiling......I mean wot kinda of lesson is that teachin children they can just throw living creatures away that they no longer require becuse they have seen something better. I was furious. I said you cant do that its cruel. She said try telling a five yr old. Well i admint i have no kids but my god they would learn that is not the way to behave.

Im sorry guys to vent but i was so angry!!!!!!!!

IT MAKES ME SO SAD THAT PEOPLE BEHAVE IN THIS MANNER NO WONDER WE HAVE SO MANY POOR LITTLE MITES IN RESUCE AND THERES US LOT TRYING TO SAVE THEM ALL.
(OPPS CAPS sorry guys i am shouting lol)

oh that's infuriating :evil: poor bunnies - I hope she kept the neutered dad away from mum for 8wks afterwards too - but somehow I doubt it so expecting the worst there too :(

Perhaps you should go round and have a chat - try and explain things to her and stay calm - educate her a bit about what is what?

Oh that is terrible, some people will never learn :evil: I guess all you can do is help rehome the babies, be strong and be the better person ;)

Its so infuriating - I did speak with her loads before she had them we went thro loads of stuff about rabbits - requirements the benefits of neutering etc. Its just people are so impatient and wot lesson is that learning the children. Honestly is so frustrating when people dont listen.

thanks for listening to me vent guys xx

Thats awful and what does she mean 'you try telling a five year old' So she does whatever her child wants then and has no control to tell her right from wrong??:evil: :evil:

Try reminding her that SHE is the parent and is responsible for teaching her child proper values, we cant always have everything we want in life, if she gives in to her childs every whim what kind of person will that little girl grow up to be............probably a spoilt rotten unrully teenager who thinks she can do/say and have whatever she wants:evil: :evil: :evil:

That's so sad. Poor little bunnies. What chance have they got? :cry:

I don't have children but I'm sure if I did I'd make sure they knew there are times when you can't have what you want.

Grrgggghhhh.

Rebec

Its so infuriating - I did speak with her loads before she had them we went thro loads of stuff about rabbits - requirements the benefits of neutering etc. Its just people are so impatient and wot lesson is that learning the children. Honestly is so frustrating when people dont listen.

thanks for listening to me vent guys xx

I know what you mean, I've had the same thing this week.

A woman I work with wanted to get 2 guinea pigs, so I gave her a book on them and the number of a rescue to call. She came into work and said that the rescue didn't have any guinea pigs and because she couldn't get through to another rescue, she went to the pet shop and bought a pair!

Those poor bunnies.

My daughter is 4, she'll be 5 next month.... I have various foster rabbits pass though and she wouldnt dream of swapping Bob, for a nicer coloured one!!!!! In fact I've just told her the brief outline of this thread and she said "thats not very nice, you dont throw rabbits away" and even asked me to pass a message on..... so, from one 5 year old to another.....Dennie says "do not throw your rabbit away, rabbits are nice and lovely and they are very delicate, and they need a home if they havent got one and they need nice good food and they are very precious..."

I swear that was word for word.:lol:

My daughter is 4, she'll be 5 next month.... I have various foster rabbits pass though and she wouldnt dream of swapping Bob, for a nicer coloured one!!!!! In fact I've just told her the brief outline of this thread and she said "thats not very nice, you dont throw rabbits away" and even asked me to pass a message on..... so, from one 5 year old to another.....Dennie says "do not throw your rabbit away, rabbits are nice and lovely and they are very delicate, and they need a home if they havent got one and they need nice good food and they are very precious..."

Aww :lol: What a lovely daughter you have!

:D What a lovley child. You obv have tought her the correct values. Well done to you. xxxxxxxx

And thanks for understanding. That goes out to you all xxx

My daughter really wanted a white rabbit (dunno why) but we had a long chat about bunnys and rescues before we went looking and when we came away with a black and a grey she was in no way disappointed because they were going to be our special bunnys and we were going to love them loads! and they were going to have a special forever home with us where they would have food and toys! Because people had been mean to them and so we were going to show them that not all people were mean and some people are really nice!

There is no reason why a 5 year old cannot have this explained to them.:roll:

Well it comes down to the mother doesnt it. The 5 year old is naturally going to want to keep the babies over a fully grown rabbit as kids are like that with any baby animal. Its up to the mother to explain to the child that rabbits are not disposable and replaceable. I have a 5 year old and I have had to teach her that rabbits dont like being cuddled and picked up etc cos little children dont understand, its our job as adults to educate the child.

Im not surprised your angry with this women, sounds completely irresponsible to me.:censored:

Last edited:

shes an angel :)

thats terrible, poor bunnies.

Reminds me a bit of the situtation Lily came from. my friends neighbors had spoken to her about getting rabbits for their 5 and 7 year olds, she told them all sorts of things and told them to look for a rescue. But they still went out and bought 2 bunnies from we think P@H, but were not sure. They had them for a little over a week when the novelty wore off. My friend took them both in, and were presumed boys, but it turned out that one was a girl, Lily. When they heard this they wanted her back for the babies:evil: but my friend asked me to take her, so they couldn't get her back. Lucky Lily turned out not to be pregnant.

They've now got a single Guinea pig, but my friend thinks there taking better care of it than they did the rabbits.

vikki:evil:

Back