• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a bunny licks another suck up too much fur in her stomach?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I remember one of Tree's bunny was licking the fur off another bunny, to the point that the bunny has too much fur in her stomach and passed away.

Now, is it a concern? How do you guys deal with this?

Or is it only a concern during fur shedding session? i.e., if the other bunny is not shedding fur, that no need for me to worry?

What is the preventive measure to handle the above?

Yeah I think the less dominant bunny does a lot more grooming and eats a lot more fur when they are moulting - I don't think it's a problem when they're not moulting, but my 2 agouti boys seemed to be always moulting. Pepsi died from a blockage and I'm sure all the fur he ate didn't help. I now give my bunnies bromelain enzyme (from pineapple) tablets from a health store when they moult, to help the hair pass through - you can get papaya enzyme tablets from some bunny suppliers too. It helps if they drink plenty and eat plenty of hay as well.

I use the enzyme tablet weekly. But this new rabbit is not eating the tablet.

why is plenty of hay & water useful to fight for fur blockage?

the enzyme breaks down mucus surrounding the gut contents, so that water can soak into it and keep it soft enough to pass through. In the same way, hay will help the gut contents pass through more quickly and easily. The longer poo is in the gut, the dryer it gets, the harder and bigger it gets, and this is the problem which plenty of water, hay and enzyme tablets will sort out.

If they won't eat the enzyme tablet don't worry unless they're moulting - in which case you can grind it between 2 teaspoons and sprinkle it over wet vegetables.

Ahhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahhaha Jason you make me laugh like you wouldn't believe :lol:

I am sure you will get oodles of advice :thumb:

Interesting stuff as My Netherland Dwarf, Bunnie is constantly licking Monty and never eats enough hay for my liking... so I do get concerned when I notice his toilet getting stringy etc.

So they can drink Pineapple juice without much in the way of side effects ?...

Moderation of course, as I am sure its not actually good for there teeth being so sweet .

I think that pineapple juice, unless fresh not from concentrate would have a little, but not a massive effect. The heat treatment would proably destroy most of the enzymes. Fresh pineapple is better. I used to use pinapple, then new bun turned her nose up. Now use the tablets, crushed & mixed in with a little bananna. A lovely once a fortnight/a month treat.

oh and if you go down the juice route, mine will lick it off a spoon or out of a small bowl.....mind you, they will do the same for panacur & baytrill :shock:

Last edited:
thanks. I never thought of water bottle as I don't use it. Because w/ bowl, which is what I have, I figure I need a lot of juice on the bowl, and it's a waste if they don't drink them all. So in the end, w/ Goofball, I just use syringe.

Interesting stuff as My Netherland Dwarf, Bunnie is constantly licking Monty and never eats enough hay for my liking... so I do get concerned when I notice his toilet getting stringy etc.

Your bunny's name is Monty too? Why do you name your one Monty?

Back