• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coping with a rear leg amputated

bizzy_vicki

Mama Doe
Just wondering if any members had or have had buns who needed a rear leg amputated and how they coped afterwards and if they had what one could call a good quality of life.
A stray bun was handed into the vets by a ACO and although the rabbit could walk it had obvious bone problems. Upon xrays it showed he had a dislocated hip, after numerous attempte to replace the hip it would not repair. The bun was given a nights hosp and pain relief to see how the bun was, that next morning he was eating, pooping and moving well. The choices were femoral head op (which is rarely successful in rabbits and very painful), amputate or euth. Most of the vets opinions were that it was fairer to euth him, I didnt see why that had to be the first option since you wouldnt automatically pts a dog or cat if it needed a limb removed, why should this rabbit be any different?! So I asked to at least try, we bipassed the femoral head op straight away as I wanted this bun one op and one op only for him to recover, as we all know multiple GA's and the pain aspect can really play out the ending for a major surgery bun. So off the leg came.....
Same night he was pooping and wobbly hopping, keeping himself upright. Next day he was eating loads, pooping loads and still managing surprisingly well! It was said that within a couple of days if it appeared to be in the rabbits best interests, ie if he were not coping, we would euth, but he really does seem to be coping!
Some of the vets really disagree with me saying this is cruel since rabbits are pray animals and not cope with things like this:rolleyes: But this forum has shown me amputatees, disabled and 'not right' buns living perfectly happily. I am the first one to not let an animal drag on and suffer, but in my mind there was no need to simply euth this lad? Am I right?!

(providing all is well he will foster with me a little before needing a special new home)

There are lots of three legged bunnies that do just fine. When you've goot four to start with loosing one isn't such a big issue!

Well thats what I thought! I can only recall doing front legs before in rabbits, that I can remember, the vets seem to think its taboo since its a rear leg:roll:

Although a hind leg amputation is more of an issue than a front leg one it is perfectly possible for a hind leg amputee to cope if he/she receives the necessary care :D

Janex

I think you did the right thing - IMO he has the right to a chance of a happy life. Rabbits are so often seen as 'disposible' pets and vets pts too quickly. I think someone else on here has a bun like this too - or mabe it was a rescue - I know i read about one somewhere.

Hope the little boy well anyway - does he have a name??

He doesnt have a name yet, no. I'll have to get my thinking cap on!
He is a very small bunny, a netherland mix I'd say and has a canny pair of testicles already so I'm not sure he is growing anymore! If he were a bunny of larger stature I may have reconsidered but he is very lightweight anyway. and a solid black, the hardest to rehome at the best of times.

I've got a doe here, Evensong, who is missing a hindfoot, and apart from having trouble hopping on smooth surfaces she copes very well. In fact she learned the joys of digging today as she is living in one of our large enclosures. She loooked very pleased with her muddy paws:lol: When she jumps she sort of twists and always goes too high as she over compensates. This is a bit different as she has the rest of the leg, but it shows that one footed jumps are possible. I have never seen her binky but she is only just recovering from being a cowering mess as the place she came from was horrid. She was kept in a birdcage in a shed:evil: She hadn't even seen people very often. She now comes out into the open of the enclosure and grazes, but is still very timid.

I also have a three legged buck, Robin. But he is missing a front leg. It doesn't seem to bother him much. He has adapted really well and spends alot of time walking on his hind legs, usually trying to bite me as he does not like it when I intrude into his pen to give his companions their meds:roll: Grumpy bossy little whatsit:?

You def did the right thing getting them to amputate. Disabled animals can still have good quality of life.

I've got a bunny with a hind leg missing. He copes fine.

I would advise that he's kept as a house rabbit or in a shed/hutch WITHOUT a run because they do sit down more than other buns and can get rather wet around their back end.

They are more prone to ear problems on the missing leg side because they can't clean the ear themselves. Mine has recently had a bit of an ear infection and needed canaural drops.

Amy

Back