• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice

waggytailstina

Alpha Buck
I have my brothers rabbits here due to him having mice in his shed !!!! any ideas of how long he should leave it empty for ? I was there yesterday and my humane traps caught 5 of them !!! in a few hours , he seems to think he only has a few my feeling is he has loads!!!!
and what would you do with the ones you caught?

I doubt you can get rid of them till you block up where they are coming into the shed - and they are very tiny. I put some bags of rubbish in my shed to stop the mice outside chewing holes in them - went to get the bags for the tip yesterday and 3 mice fell out of the bag when I picked it up :lol: I left it in there incase they had babies - I'm too soft :roll:

yes thats what i thought too!!! my brother has caught 5 and is keeping them in a cage just now!!! but we had to laugh earlier as he has now brought 8 humane traps but had differculty getting them out of the packet!
does anyone else here have this problem and what was your solution as its no something i have ever had happen to me

We had mice in our loft and have loads of humane traps. Unfortunately bad news is, it takes ages to get rid of them unless you can find where they are coming in. If the 'mum' has a litter you are looking at around 6 at a time and she will give birth usually 6 times a year. Busy animal!!!
Make sure when your bro lets them go it is FAR from the house. We usually go about a mile down the road sometimes further, ppl recommend just 1/4 of a mile but I make sure we go further and round corners so they cant make their way back lol
If you let them go too close they will keep coming back. Also put all bunny food etc in plastic containers with lids on so they can't smell it. We also discovered mice in our shed, where we kept the bunny food, so it all went in containers, but they go for anything, even things like soap. It is mad. The best bait i have found is peanut butter btw, that catches them really quick. the ready baited traps are 'ok' but peanut butter is better IMO
I would also advise to check the traps every few hours, because they do get stressed, and start chewing the traps, and then let them go as soon as you can as not fair to keep them as it will scare them and they may end up dying.
I have done loads of research on the whole mice issue as its a big thing when they come into the house, and killing them was a complete no no for us.
I hope you manage to get rid :)

killing them is a no no for us and we are checking the traps regularly lol
all his buns are now with me so they won't be affected lol
I have to say all the mice look really cute and are very healthy !!
all food was in containers but I guess they can help themsleves from the bunny bowls

Mice did go into the hutch - I would see the droppings, ugh!

But I now feed pellets only once a day - very late in the evening. The pellets are scoffed immediately, so no food remains. This makes the hutch (I think!) less attractive to mice.

I do see them clinging to the peanut feeder though!

I'm currently using humane traps in my house. I caught one on saturday (I called him Geoff) and had a releasing ceremony. I drove him 3 miles away and let him go in the country and waved him off. Hope he's ok!!

I took 5 to woods today , before my brothers kids saw them lol they are really really sweet to look at i don't fancy having them stay in my house though!!!

Awww :D I haven't checked my shed again - just left the bin bag where it was (full of guinea pig food - they waste tons :roll: ) I know there's a crack in the wall where they must be climbing in - I'm scared to look - there's probably about a million of them now :rolleyes: I'm dismantling the shed soon though, so that's going to spoil their party :( I guess leaving a bin bag is one thing, but leaving an empty £200 new shed for them is going a bit toooooo soft :lol:

Back