• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD limp U/D vet denies s/e of VHD jab!!

It is not normal but it can be a side effect of the vacination although my vets are don't accept this. You should inform your vet of the condition.

Jacks-Jane was collecting information on VHD limp to send to the vaccine manufacturer as they also don't recognise it as a side effect. Not too sure if she had a reply back or not.

Okay, not 'normal', but nothing to worry about, right?... RIGHT? :(

Yeah they both have it, were fine yesterday but I got up this mornin and they've both got a limp in one front leg, tho I think it's opposite legs :shock:

3 out of my 5 bunnies had VHD Limp, I panicked the first time I saw it thought Petey had broken his paw or something:shock: as he used to leap in and out of his hay rack when he was little ans thought he had caught his leg in the rack, he could hardly put any weight on it at all I phoned the emergency vet and they said just to keep an eye on him (the limp didnt start til 24 hours after his jab by which time it was a sunday afternoon) I was so relieved when he seemed better the next day (48 hours after) then it took about 5 days to go completely, I then found out about the VHD causing it and when my next bunny was done and they got a limp too I wasnt as worried, just felt sorry for the poor thing:roll:

Okay, not 'normal', but nothing to worry about, right?... RIGHT? :(

Yeah they both have it, were fine yesterday but I got up this mornin and they've both got a limp in one front leg, tho I think it's opposite legs :shock:

no its nothing to worry about, in my experience it usually starts in the front leg (either side) withing the first 24 hours after the jab, then it will seem quite bad and you think ite painful, but its fine, from what i understand the jab makes the muscle which conects the front leg/paw ache or spasm which stops them putting it down normally.

my experience with my buns went like this

VHD jab done
24 hours after, limp starts, not much weight aboe to be put on it at first
36 hours after, limp starts to lessen and improve
48 hours after, limp still apparent but greatly improved
3-5 days after limp will improve more as each day goes by until it has gone.

I think Petey played on it a bit coz he got extra TLC with being aloud on the furniture and got hand fed vegetables:lol: :lol:

So feel sorry for them but it is fine and nothing to worry about:)

Both my bunnies got there vhd jab on a Tuesday night, they were seemed fine at 8am the next morning but it wasnt until I came home form work at 5pm that day that I noticed one of them had a limp and the other one was very quiet than normal.
I thought my bunny with the limp had maybe broken his paw, I panicked phoned the vet and they said bring him that evening, they also said this would not be due to the vhd jab.
Before I left I checked this forum and found out that lots of bunnies had the same thing happen to them. So I felt calmer and cancelled the appointment.

Both rabbits were fine the next day. You cant help panic though! I thought what If I'm leaving im over the 24hours and he really has broke his leg.

Have just spoken to my vet, he said it's highly unlikely that the limp is related to the VHD jab :shock: He says it's more likely to be from struggling (which they didn't) or being stressed (which they didn't seem to be) from being put in the cat carrier and being taken to the vets and back. :shock: He also said he's never known rabbits suffer a limp following a VHD injection before, and took me thru various checks to see if they'd hurt thmselves, scrapping, etc. Despite the fact that both of them have got it!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Am disappointed to be honest, cos he struck me as quite a rabbit savvy vet, and they've a veterinary hospital with RCVS accreditation for small animals!!!

Have just spoken to my vet, he said it's highly unlikely that the limp is related to the VHD jab :shock: He says it's more likely to be from struggling (which they didn't) or being stressed (which they didn't seem to be) from being put in the cat carrier and being taken to the vets and back. :shock: He also said he's never known rabbits suffer a limp following a VHD injection before, and took me thru various checks to see if they'd hurt thmselves, scrapping, etc. Despite the fact that both of them have got it!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Am disappointed to be honest, cos he struck me as quite a rabbit savvy vet, and they've a veterinary hospital with RCVS accreditation for small animals!!!

I've PMd you :wave:

Janex

Thats a shame! Its happening to too many bunnies to be coincidence!
I dont understand why all the vets dont want to see the limp as a possible side effect.

I dont understand why all the vets dont want to see the limp as a possible side effect.

Its because its not on the vaccine data information sheet yet.
That's what I am *trying* to change

Janex

Cos if I hadn't had you lot telling me it's a common side effect, I'd have rushed my bunnies in to the vets today at Sunday out of hours prices!!! or is that just me being cynical?!

Cos if I hadn't had you lot telling me it's a common side effect, I'd have rushed my bunnies in to the vets today at Sunday out of hours prices!!! or is that just me being cynical?!

Not at all.
Someone paid over £200 for out of hours consults, an X-ray and meds all for a post VHD Vaccine limp that the Vet refused to accept as a possibility :rolleyes:

Janex

ive jus realised.... we never broke Alvin!!!!! all this time i thought we had hurt him the night of his jab because he wasnt using his leg.. for over a week i called my o/h bunny killer because he had dropped him and we thought thats why he was limping and not ising his front leg.... and it was the jab all along :oops: :oops: must be like our TB injection that kills the arm for days, lucky us we only get it once and not yearly huh

Thats what I was going to do with my bunny. Then I read all the posts on this website about it. I'll bet if we took our bunnies to the vet they would have got unecessary treatment for something!

Its because its not on the vaccine data information sheet yet.
That's what I am *trying* to change

Janex

Yeah I realise that, I just meant its a shame as surely the vets must hear about this limp happening all the time after the jabs.

So are you having any luck with getting it changed?

Its a really great thing your doing.

mine had this too!! i thought that one had broken their leg, then when the other started it i didnt worry too much about it being broken. called my vets but they didnt seem too worried, said they'd never heard of it

Back