• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dreadlocked bunny

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hey everyone i was @ a party last ntie and my friend told me that she was concerned about a rabbit someone she knows had. aparantly its dreadlocked from being so matted and lives ina filthy disgusting hutch which is full solid of poo. They are so disgusted with themselves they dont want to take it to a rescue because they feel ashamed. (they should do!!!!!) But she asked me if i would take it if they left him @ my house anonomously, i said of course i would, because obviously i want to save th elittle guy.

aparantly hes a caramel colour and is seven years old!!! imagine how long the poor guy has been in those conditions, she had forwardded my number and email address tot his woman so HOPEFULLY she will bring him to me, only problem is my friend is of to the navy today so she will phone her today on the train but she cant push to woman to give him up bcus shes out at sea for the next two months. but shes going to call her today.

Anyway this guys probably going to nee loads of treatment and tbh dont have the cash to pay for it bcus hes in such a bad way.Id be happy to foster him though.
What shall i do about vet treatment? should i take himt o the rspca? because it is the only rescue i can get too.

thanks

:shock: :evil: :censored: wt the hell are they doin with the bunny wabbit? why have it if they cant even be bothered to groom it oh grrrrr tel me they wont go and get another one.?? oh also...sggest they leave some money with the bunny as a donation to help you out a bit...huh honestly the idiotic behaviour of some :censored:

I would see what the RSPCA intend to do with it.....remember they DONT have a no-euthanasia policy and I once contacted them about a rabbit then decided against letting them have him as they would have PTS.

The branches around here have been turning people with rabbits away lately too.

thats a good point, i didnt think of that. I would love to keep the poor guy and as hes seven-eightish he probably doesnt have much time left as he hasnt been looked after, so id love to give him a nice retirement, and i hope i dont sound selfish but i really cnt imagine how much treatment will be to get him 'back to health' and i very much doubt i could afford it.

Its a long old journey but if a bunny run can be arranged then I would happily take him on.

Infact my OH is commuting back through London next Monday from Guildford in Surrey.....but he is travelling by train.

I'd pop him along to the vets for a look over and at least see how much it's likely to be. It might just be that a shave, a dental and a decent diet will sort him out pretty quickly. Even if you can't afford the full treatment, at least if he has some of the worst clipped and you then have an idea of what it's going to cost, you can start by giving him a clean hutch and good food, which is more than he is getting at the moment by the sound of things. Would the owner not be prepared to give you a donation towards the vet costs if she's too embarrassed to take him herself?

If you get stuck give me a shout and I'll see what I can do - I'm away until this Thursday though.

Thats true, he could just be matted, and lonely! my friend kate went back tot he navy today though so hopefully she got through to them, i fnot the poor guy is going to have to wait until december when she comes back!

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a combination of bad diet so sticky bum/matted fur around back, bad teeth so not grooming properly, plus general neglect meaning dirty accommodation and hence dirty fur, and probably boredom/depression resulting in the poor bun not being motivated enough to clean himself :cry: I'd be very surprised if it wasn't relatively simple to sort most of it out. Poor little chap :cry:

I just hope i can save him, poor thing. its bad enough when i hear about any rabbit in that condition but an old one is awful because he will probably never know love :(

aawww i hope its not an angora/cashmere type coat.. cos that will be a mess.. although i guess fairly easy to sort out as in the vets could shave them if need be.
I do hope you find out a bit more about the rabbit and possibly get it so that it can go to a lovely new home:? Im sure if you get it we can find it a space in rescue if need be..there are a couple in london and a few cambridge/norwich way, and i think one in chelmsford too

i hope so. ive just got a feeling i wont hear anything til decemeber and there is n way of me contacing her either. :(

Poor little guy :cry: I have the space here & I think I could pay for vet treatment if you can't. Hope you can get this poor boy sorted out :( xxx

thanks:) im not sure what condition hes in i just pray they contact me b4 kate gets bak, if they dont she will bring him here herself but she isnt back til decemeber

update:

Kate managed to email me, and unfortunatly they wouldnt contact me so she got into an argument with them and now they are saying they wont give him up, even if he is living in filth!!! she is still trying but there is only so much she can do while shes away!

ahh thats awful, sounds like they are just keeping him now to spite your friend! People need to start thinking about the animals more it makes me so cross!

we think they are holding onto him bcus they dont want her to 'rescue him' bcus then they are definatly in the wrong.although its blatant they are anyway! Poor guy, hes lived his whole life being uncared for!

Back