• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know how the P@H adoption works?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
I noticed when i was in there that they are selling pin badges and cuddly toys with money going to 'adoption', just wondered if anyone knows how this works? Who is adoption? Is the money going to rescues or back into their own pocket?
There was also a couple of glass tanks which had adoption above them but there were no animals in there, just curious as to how it works?

Badly IMHO!

They don't vaccinate, neuter or homecheck the animals that are up for 'adoption'. Really it's P@H re-selling pets for less money.

:shock: they dont??? see i was checkin the possibility out friday but there were no buns..all gone :roll: could'nt understand wat they were doing and where they got the buns from?? These :censored: places should not be advertising "give another pet another chance of happiness" it should be "don't buy rabbits from shops..do your bit and go to one of the hundreds of rescue centres across the country"
why do people give P@H rabbits to rehome ??

Because they dont want them anymore but it seems more 'acceptable' than going to a rescue which seems to have a stigma attached to it.

You go in coo over a bunny a memeber of staff comes over, tells you about them...where they came from, how old they, sex, no medical background apart from a 'health check'.....not yet established if thats actually carried out by a vet or not in ALL branches......that they have to be kept 'alone' as they have never lived with other rabbits......then you sign a form promising to get them neutered but can opt out of ever being contacted about it......pay a donation (£3 will apparently suffice) and walk out.

The money goes to the P@H charity which amongst a few others like the blue cross is also supposed to donate money to the RWF.

Because they dont want them anymore but it seems more 'acceptable' than going to a rescue which seems to have a stigma attached to it.

You go in coo over a bunny a memeber of staff comes over, tells you about them...where they came from, how old they, sex, no medical background apart from a 'health check'.....not yet established if thats actually carried out by a vet or not in ALL branches......that they have to be kept 'alone' as they have never lived with other rabbits......then you sign a form promising to get them neutered but can opt out of ever being contacted about it......pay a donation (£3 will apparently suffice) and walk out.

The money goes to the P@H charity which amongst a few others like the blue cross is also supposed to donate money to the RWF.

:shock: :evil: :cry: that is so sad
and sorry if i ranted on in my previous post i am not havin a very good weekend

I have heard of at least one case where the animals for 'adoption' were just old stock that couldn't be sold. :shock: :roll:

If you want to adopt an animal, go to a rescue and boycott :censored: p@h, I seriously hate the place. There are genuine rescues full to the brim with animals and far, far less funds that p@h to care for them, some are even forced to send animals away or create a waiting list.

The whole adoption scheme within p@h to me, is only going to make more people jump in, buy one wth the attitude 'well if I don't like it, I can dump it back here'.

I was in the Croydon store of Pets at home on Thursday, I dont usually go to that branch for supplys as I prefer Raynes park which is where my vet is but they had the adoption thing in there and it seems in that store they are working with a local rescue (cant remember which one) thats where the buns came from and beside the bunnies enclosures it had info about the rabbit concerned and you had to contact the rescue to rehome the bunny, pets at home didnt just 'sell' it at a reduced price.

I was in the Croydon store of Pets at home on Thursday, I dont usually go to that branch for supplys as I prefer Raynes park which is where my vet is but they had the adoption thing in there and it seems in that store they are working with a local rescue (cant remember which one) thats where the buns came from and beside the bunnies enclosures it had info about the rabbit concerned and you had to contact the rescue to rehome the bunny, pets at home didnt just 'sell' it at a reduced price.

Im afraid not all stores are working with a rescue, mine are not.

I was also under the impression that the rescues rabbits stayed at the rescue and the ones instore had come in from the public. They just offered information on the rescue and the rabbits it had available.

I sure as hell wouldnt be happy sending one of my rabbits to live in those 'enclosures'.

Im afraid not all stores are working with a rescue, mine are not.

I was also under the impression that the rescues rabbits stayed at the rescue and the ones instore had come in from the public. They just offered information on the rescue and the rabbits it had available.

I sure as hell wouldnt be happy sending one of my rabbits to live in those 'enclosures'.

they had obviously been doing some store improvments in croydon as i havnt been in that branch for about a year and they have built a separate section for the adoption buns, they were nice and clean and had plenty of hay and were feeding them pellets not the museli they used to feed but the enclosres were a bit on the small side.:cry:

They have the same set up in all the stores, currently although due to the number of compaints they are launching a new model.

The day I went in was boiling and the store rabbits had a fan but the poor adoption rabbits in the glass enclosures were flat out panting with no way of cooling down :( :( :(

They are bunnies which have not sold. They put them in the adoption centre when they are deemed too old to sell as the cute little babies!! :shock:

they had obviously been doing some store improvments in croydon as i havnt been in that branch for about a year and they have built a separate section for the adoption buns, they were nice and clean and had plenty of hay and were feeding them pellets not the museli they used to feed but the enclosres were a bit on the small side.:cry:

Whilst the store conditions may be okay, whats the chances that when 'adopted' that the rabbits are still fed and cleaned properly and have a proper hutch? Also, cheap rabbits= cheap dog bait and I for one would be interested to know what % of all animals adopted stay in their adopted homes and how many are returned or neglected.

Someone on here adopted a medium-large lop and his nails and teeth were horrendous, yet this same bun was said to be a 'staff fav'...so how could they miss his nails for a start? He was also sold with a 4ft hutch....which again highlights p@h staffs' inability to properly sell, let alone rehome animals. Thankfully his new owner got his teeth and nails seen to and as he is a house bun his hutch is only a base for him, not his permant home.

i know someone who adopted one formt here because it was'cheaper than getting a baby' becaus eof the donations, thdn they brought him back 2 weeks later because of his behvaiour and wanted a refund!!!

I've adopted 3 hamsters from my P@H adoption scheme. Just go in ask if there ready for adoption, get information on there care, sign a form, give donation and there yours.

Since they started it i've seen one bun in that was to old to sell but mostothers are ones who's 'owners can't look after them any more':rolleyes:

The money goes into the adoption scheme but i don't know if mine is a connected to a rescue or just aniamls brouhgt in by the general public:?

Last edited:
I have adopted a hamster and a rabbit from Pets at Home, the rabbit I adopted needed rehoming as his mum had too many babies and the owner couldn't keep them all, he had only been given to the shop the morning I went it and saw him.

I was asked more questions than when I brought one from there but that may just have been down to it being a different sales assistant serving me.

I donated them same price as I did for my first rabbit, but you can give what ever you want as long as its above a minimum.

There is a giant rabbit in there for sale, he is £140, I wish we had the space to keep him, he has been in there for a couple of months now :(

Thanks for the info, wishful thinking that they might be working with rescue centres :(
Went in there today to get some disinfectant and the amount of kids in there poking at the animals saying 'daddy i want that one' really anoyed me. I have to say they do sell a lot of them when i went in tues they had about 15 bunnies today there was 3 left :(

There is a giant rabbit in there for sale, he is £140, I wish we had the space to keep him, he has been in there for a couple of months now :(

As harsh as it seems, it is better to leave him there as by buying him you are only going to send the message back to the breeder to breed more. When he is replaced you won't be able to rehome that one, so unfortunatley its pointless.:cry:

Back