• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grazing pot

Maizy

Mama Doe
A friend of mine gave me a couple of terracotta chimney pots and I bought some bunny grazing mix seeds and sowed them last month. I planted it up this afternoon and put it in the run to see if there was any interest. Here's the result...........:D

LibLott.jpg

I had to take it away in the end before they pulled it all up! Once it's rooted in a bit better, they can have it back.:lol:

That looks great! :) Whenever I try to grow things they go all mouldy! :shock:

Yes that used to happen to me ( still does occasionally). Great tip 'Cheshunt Compund' anti-fungal and it's brilliant! Spray it on the surface of the compost before you sow the seeds and it tackles any nasty soil born fungi that cause the seedlings to collapse from damping off or mould.
I was really pleased with the seed, it's all bunny friendly stuff, including Timothy grass, vetch, legume mix, herbs and other grasses. I'm hoping to plant up another one in the Spring that they can just graze down and then it will grow back thicker and bushier! ( well that's the plan):D

That sounds great - where would I get the anti fungal from? And where did you get your seeds from? And did you have to go for a really deep pot because of the roots? So many questions! :oops: :lol:

That sounds great - where would I get the anti fungal from? And where did you get your seeds from? And did you have to go for a really deep pot because of the roots? So many questions! :oops: :lol:

Cheshunt compound is avaible from any good garden centre. It's in a little tin ( like a mini golden syrup tin). I think I paid about £4 for my last tin, but it last's for at least 3 years if you store it somwhere dry. One thing though, it stinks!:shock: It's a horrible amonia type smell, so only use outside and try not to breath the fumes in.
The seeds I got from this lady on e'bay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-RABBIT-SE...ihZ013QQcategoryZ1285QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem. I have tortoises as well, so bought lots from her and it's all been fab!
I went for a deep pot because it was just the one my friend gave me.:lol: I would say though, the Vetch seed is like a pea plant so has quite long roots. I think a normal shaped pot would be fine.:D

I'm glad it was a success. It looked quite yummy when I saw it. :D

Yeah but there's not much left now!:lol: :lol: I had enough time to get my camera and take a coule of shots before they were going beyond a gentle 'graze':shock: I'm hopeful it will all bush up and once the other one is done, I can alternate the pots.:D

Back