• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can vets keep buns in overnight after spay?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
As it would be difficult for us to keep Milly and Molly in overnight, would it be ok for the vets to keep them overnight and then they could go in their hutch if all is well after that?

:wave: They don't normally - I guess it depends if they have staff around doing night checks on other animals ie if they are going to be checking others anyway they might let yours stay but if they aren't they prob won't as will have to come in especially to see yours when yours don't medically need to be there. They would prob charge you a bit as well as is like an out of hours service and something they wouldn't see as necessary??

we'll pay whatever. it's just silly to buy a dog crate for one night and cope with the temperature change and trying to get them used to the cold winter temperature outside.

our vet takes them in the night before if you want them to, so there may be an option for the night after too..... worth asking i suppose

It's always useful to have an indoor cage, e.g. when a bunny is ill, when there is some horrible weather, after operations, etc.. It's never a waste of money.

I'd be keeping mine in for more than one night post-spay, as I'd want to gradually lower the room temperature over a couple of days as she recovers, before putting the bun back out.

I'd be keeping mine in for more than one night post-spay, as I'd want to gradually lower the room temperature over a couple of days as she recovers, before putting the bun back out.

after spaying sam had a slight dos eof teh sniffles (not unusual with buns i am told, as they arent great with anisthetics) so we kept ehr indoors for a good week or two as she was on antibiotics.

we have kept teh indoor hutch,a sthis will be hers and dominos (Well with us anyway) first bonfire night, and we dont knwo how tehy will be....if tehy get too nervy near the time we will bring them in for teh night times.

One of my vets surgeries wont let rabbits go home until they start eating again so often offer to keep them overnight.

All vets are prepared for overnight patients, most have nurses flats above so I would not expect it to be a problem, however, depending on your vets it may cost extra...

I was supposed to bring Scarlett and Trip home after her spay and was told to call the vets at 6pm to arrange collecting them after speaking to them about 4 times that afternoon and being told Scarlett was recovering well, and when I called nobody answered the phone or called me back after I left about 10 messages on the answerphone and by the time I had got to the surgery nobody answered the door so I sat up all night worrying :? Can you tell im still really annoyed about that :roll:

I would rather have my buns home with me that night because when I collected Trip and Scarlett the next day I was handed back the container of food I sent them with, because they fed them the rabbit food they had there even though I asked for them to be given what I had packed for them :? And when I asked if Scarlett had eaten the reply I got from the nurse was 'well the food was eaten, but I suppose Trip could have eaten the lot because we werent watching them all night' :?

Thats why I wanted them home because I would have actually stayed up to watch Scarlett all night and would have known if she was eating, and the vets did charge me about £50 for the overnight stay :evil: :roll: :?

I would personally want my girl home so I could keep an eye on her and know she is being watched all night, providing the op went ok :D But if you completely trust your vets then an overnight stay shouldnt be a problem :D

Both my girls stayed in the house for about 4 nights with loads of blankets, heatpads and cuddles from me ;) x

The thing is i'd love for them to stay in for a week or two but my parents think it's not worth it and want them back outside. They think it's not necessary.

My vet refuses to release a rabbit after any surgery, unless you can keep it indoors in the warm overnight - just like a hospital patient needs a bit of bed rest, so do bunnies, especially after major surgery like a hysterectomy (just ask your mum if she'd like to go out in the cold after a hysterectomy ;) )

mine are the same as elve...although they have no staff on overnight :roll: - but even when Isaac had emergency surgery at 7pm one night they still let him home with me at 8 -but thats purely because they knew I would be up with him on a heat pad all night watching him round the clock - otherwise they wouldnt have let me.
As for your vets Becky after that I would never have gone back to that vets!
and I agree dog crates are never a waste of money - cos you never know whats round the corner. Even though mines permanently in my wardrobe I am still glad its there :D

I dont actually have much choice, we only have a few surgeries over here and they are the best when it comes to rabbits :shock: :? I have managed to find a vet there now who is brilliant but I am still really angry about Scarletts spay, and the thing is Buu was in for her spay just two weeks before and I had agreed to let her stay over night and the nurse who I spoke to when I collected her was lovely and said she had spent most of the night with Buu just patting her head and handfeeding her pellets :? So its obviously just whatever nurse is on at the time :?

Back