• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobby and Ruby both poorly -U/D Tues Bobby at the vet

HS

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed Ruby had a slightly swollen lower lid. You can just about see in this picture:
PA130001.jpg

The vet is not sure if it's an infection, or the beginning of an abcess, so we have Baytril and Fulcitherm (?) to administer twice a day. Her teeth loo fine, but it may be a tooth root thing. It's abit of a shock, as Ruby is my healthy girl and has had no problems at all in the two years she's been here.

Bobby was a bit dribbly, so I took him (suspecting teeth), but unfortunately he has an abcess under his jaw. He also has Baytril. I know how difficult abcesses are to treat in bunnies, and lost Patch to osteomylitis, so I'll be keeping a close eye on Bobby.

Vibes to my beautiful buns, if you can please.

Last edited:
She said to try the Baytril first, then if there's no improvement surgery is an option. I don't think, from what I've read of other people's experiences, that the Baytril will clear it up. I'm willing to try the surgery, he's a healthy bunny in all other aspects, so I would like to do it sooner rather than later I think.

I think I would be keen to get this drained and then give antibiotics afterwards. Some abscesses can develope capsules around them which are difficult for antibiotics to permiate.

Good luck with both your buns and I do hope that they are both on the road to recovery soon.

Thanks Janice, I'll mention it to the vet.
Neither of them are showing signs of discomfort, so I'm very happy about that.

I'd also get a swab from the abscess wall to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to give. A swab of just the pus may be misleading as Rabbit pus is often sterile

Janex

Neither of them are very happy about being caught twice a day for meds, but they're looking fine. Still eating bouncing around. Ruby's eye looks less red on the lid, but still quite swollen.
I'll take them back to the vet on Saturday to see if there's any improvement.

Just got back from the vet.
Bobby has a tooth root abcess - she managed to squeeze a lot of puss out of it (yuck) and recommended he have the tooth out next week. Poor grumpy boy.
Ruby's eye is still swollen, although not as red. She thinks it may be an abcess, but wants to leave it untreated for a week, to see if it bursts :shock:
Poor bunnies. I feel like a terrible bunny mummy at the moment, even though I know it's just one of those things.:cry:

Back