• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deep cleans for coccidiosis

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I know a few of you now have had to do deep cleans for coccidiosis, so I'm looking for some advice. Basically, there is a chance that my guinea pigs have the renal form of coccidiosis (in the continuing saga of their mysterious condition that has been going on for months now).

Tomorrow is clean out day, and I have been bleaching up to now, but I'd like to clean as if it is coccidiosis. So.... they are indoors, and have a pen with detachable bars and a very strong plastic base (which I think will stand up to a steam clean). But I also have lots of things like plastic houses, ceramic bowls, water bottle, toys etc. I have a steam cleaner, and don't want to use the Jeyes if I can help it, but will obviously rinse very well if I do have to.

Think I will buy a new water bottle, but don't want to give them a new one until the problem is eradicated!

Any advice on my cleaning regime would be very much appreciated. :)

Sounds like you have it sussed really - Jeyes and/or steam - plus throw away anything not washable - they don't use toys much compared to bunnies so they won't be too upset :) What are their symptoms?

I am fortunate to never have experienced this problem, from what I have read steam cleaning, boiling water and 10% amonia solutions are effective

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/coccidiosis.htm

You have a steam cleaner which will be effective. Soaking other items such as bottles, toys and bowls in boiling water or even boiling them in an old saucepan would be effective. I would suggest that repeating this treatment until you are confident that this has resolved may be useful to undertake. If you do this reguarly then you will prevent reinfecting them.

Back