• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paraplegic bunny...help!

Jere

New Kit
Kritter came to us a very malnourished baby Rex with no appetite, who almost constantly ground his teeth. For the first two days, he went through a bout of diarrhea, but always had high energy. The diarrhea went away on its own and his appetite has now improved tremendously, but...suddenly, we came back from work one day and his back end is paralyzed. Honestly, it feels as if some preexisting injury shifted. The vet I asked says that it sounds like a fairly severe spinal injury. He's not in pain and looks quite happy, he's pooping and peeing and now eats like a horse and seems to finally be gaining some weight.

What can I do to give him the best quality of life he can have? I thought about putting him down, but he just seems so happy and relaxed. It's tremendously depressing for me to watch him drag himself about (which he actually does with a lot of speed and efficiency), but he doesn't seem to mind.

We're in Mexico and veterinary care for rabbits is dismal. Does anyone have thoughts about hygiene concerns and mobility? What the heck does a rabbit wheel chair look like anyway? Has anyone ever had this experience, and what could his life expectancy be? Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Jere
(In Guadalajara, Mexico)

Last edited:
Hello

I am sorry to hear bout your Rabbit :cry:

I would advise you to contact the lady who runs Ebony Eyes Rabbit Retirement Home.
Her name is Jay and she has vast experience in caring for severely disabled Rabbits

http://www.ebonyeyes.co.uk/aspbite/categories/index.asp?intCatID=15

Jay is a member on here under the username Jaypot so you could PM her or contact her via the Ebony Eyes Website. She will be able to give you lots of advice about how best to care for your disabled Rabbit

Does the Vet you see have any Xray equipment? Certainly establishing what the problem with your Bun is would be a good idea.

Lots of Luck

Janex :)

Hi Jere from beautiful Mexico :wave:,
I'm so sorry about your bunny's paralysis. How long ago did it happen?
I was wondering if maybe the paralysis came on by a common parasitic disease called E.C.- if so, your bunny may be able to regain partial or even possibly full recovery of the use of his hind legs with a drug called panacur.
E.C. is a parasite that attacks the nervous system and paralysis can be a result of it, sometimes suddenly. You could call your vet about it and ask, and/or order panacur online and just try it out, because it is a very safe drug. It is commonly used for horses and can be found at farm stores too.

What Jane said and gave a link to, would go a long way in helping with hygiene and mobility ideas from an expert, and I wouldn't hesitate to contact
the person on the link. It sounds like you love your bunny a lot and he is
very lucky to have you.

And the cutest thing ever!!!!!!!!!

2nd_woolly.jpg

Update on the paralysis+ growing pains?

So, Kritter is still the indomitable spirit...

The paralysis happened about ten days ago. The vet here is pretty sure that it's not E.C. (no seizures or head tilt or a few of the other tell-tales).

He thinks the trauma may have caused swelling and a pinched nerve, and gave us an anti-inflammatory. Seven days later, both of Kritter's back legs are shaking periodically, and we've been trying some hydrotherapy (where he does move the legs a TINY bit). He's still got a bit of muscle tone and we're trying manipulation sessions to keep that and he is starting to move the legs a tiny bit. No fracture, apparently, which is great.

Now, the problem really seems to be that he only sits to one side and we're worried about the leg he keeps forcing under himself crosswise, since he's still growing.

Any way to keep his pelvis somewhat straight while he's healing, so the position he likes doesn't end up causing more problems later?

P.S. The poster who sent the wheelchair picture: that is the cutest idea ever!

Hi :wave:

Sorry you hear about Kritter's injury :(

I've seen film on youtube of a bunny with hind leg paralysis, whose owners put a sling underneath his body and held him up with it, so that he could walk around with his front legs and hopefully encourage his back legs to start moving.

I guess the principle is similar to those swimming pool for disabled dogs...so that the back legs can move without having to support weight on them.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about physiotherapy, but I'm sure somebody on the Etherbun yahoo group will be able to offer more advise:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/etherbun/

Regards

Amy

Back