• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kitten's spay today

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Well my little girl bun Kitten was spayed today - all fine and dandy - the vet made the wound extra small too as I've had troubles over the past 2 days with my rats pulling out stitches!! Anyway, she's had a few bits of food so that's ok, she's hopping about a bit and seems fine but I want to check her stitches at some point.. She's not one for being picked up or even fussed - I really don't want to traumatise her any more but after the couple of days i've had I'd really like to know that she's not walking about with a horrendous open wound!!

I thought that a rabbit spay would be similar to a cat in that it would go through the side but clearly I'm wrong as I can't see anything :) Guessing it's on her belly as she is hopping a little arched up awkwardly..

Should I try to burrito her and check her stitches? Are bunnies generally good with leaving them alone? Shadow was fine after his neuter but obviously I'm a bit more concerned for Kitten as it's a much more intrusive operation...

I had the same problem when Bella was spayed in August. She hates being picked up and trying to look at a bunny's tummy is not easy when they go all squiggly and squirming to get out of your arms. I just kept an eye out when she was running around and hoped that I'd spot if things weren't right.

Bella's was down her middle too (I understand this is normal for rabbits) which doesn't make it easier to look at!

Bella left her stitches alone - hope Kitten leaves hers alone.

Sorry I can't help more. Hope Kitten recovers quickly.

Rebec

Last edited:
Yes rabbit stitches are on the tummy. Most vets now use internal dissolvable stitches and glue to prevent the rabbit from pulling at them.

Its a good idea to check them everyday, especially if they are external as I had a doe open herself up a few months ago.....not pleasent at all!

Well I managed to catch her without too much trauma just now by throwing a towel over her and scooping her up - once she's up she's usually fine for a minute or two but getting her there is usually more trouble than it's worth!!

Anyway, glad to say it's looking good and she's not messed about with the wound at all - she's acting more normally now, still a bit off her food but she has eaten. I don't blame her tbh, I'd be off my food if someone did that to me!! :)

I had my Kovu castrated yesterday and too for me its impossible to check his stitches, he hates being handled so guess I wont be able to check...eek!

Anyway, glad to say it's looking good and she's not messed about with the wound at all - she's acting more normally now, still a bit off her food but she has eaten. I don't blame her tbh, I'd be off my food if someone did that to me!! :)

My problem was wanting Bella to be back to her usual self straight away afterwards, even though I knew that was unrealistic. Before her spay, normal for Bella was to be very territorial - growling, lunging, scratching and biting - I wanted her to lunge or try to bite as a sign she was ok (she's still a feisty madam but the aggression calmed down pretty much straight away).

Daft really - there's no way we'd be doing anything close to normal after a major op like that!

Glad you were able to pick Kitten up to have a look and that she's eating.

I had my Kovu castrated yesterday and too for me its impossible to check his stitches, he hates being handled so guess I wont be able to check...eek!

I found it impossible too. Got quite stressed about not being able to check - spent ages lying on the floor in the hope I could look under her when she hopped past!

Rebec

I found it impossible too. Got quite stressed about not being able to check - spent ages lying on the floor in the hope I could look under her when she hopped past!

Rebec

Yeah, I am really paranoid after spending since Wednesday getting my 2 rats restitched up! Thankfully she seems to have been a good girl and just cleaned it so far :) After 48 hours I will stop worrying so much as that seems to be the magic number for skin gluing together and being less likely to be ripped open :)

Yeah, I am really paranoid after spending since Wednesday getting my 2 rats restitched up! Thankfully she seems to have been a good girl and just cleaned it so far :) After 48 hours I will stop worrying so much as that seems to be the magic number for skin gluing together and being less likely to be ripped open :)

I've been there before with a guinea pig, so I know how awful that is. My poor piggie opened up a caesarean wound and pulled all her insides out. It was pretty awful - she didn't survive and I felt very guilty as I had never intended on her getting pregnant but I put the wrong piggie in with her in the run by accident - ten minutes later he was removed but it was too late. I've been a bit paranoid since about animal ops and was constantly checking Bella to make sure she wasn't doing the same.

Rebec

Back