• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeder with rescue bun. allowed??

kiri_tc

Young Bun
Ok a strange question............

Would a rescue allow a very small scale breeder to have a neutered rabbit?

aslong as the bun is neutered and the breeder has sufficient accommodation and passes all other checks can't see why not. why?
x

I can't see why not. They can't breed a neutered rabbit anyway:lol: Depends on wheter the breeder would WANT to keep a rabbit that can't be bred though.. But I know many breeders keep "pet bunnies" aside their breeding stock, some come from their own breeding, others may well be an entirely different breed.
Reminds me of a farm close to my school. Don't know if they can be counted as "breeders" as its mostly a "green care" farm that helps disabled. Occasionally they have baby rabbits. When not pregnant or nursing the females go in a large pen, though the woman running the place said the also had a neutered buck in with them. Probably once a pet, I don't remember where it came from (if she even mentioned it).

Last edited:
Why would a breeder want a neutered bun ? I'm sure the breeder would have more than enough buns she/he could have neutered..

I have a doe who is on her own and would really love some company. I dont want her with an un-neutered bun as i have chosen specific lines to breed her too when the time comes, which will be once a year. I have extra accomodation for when that time comes.

Thankyou for your comments, except the last one by Jocelyn!!! the idea is not retarded and neither am i!!! i just want a friend for my girl!!!! and i though going to a rescue would be better than buying!

Why would a breeder want a neutered bun ? I'm sure the breeder would have more than enough buns she/he could have neutered

I only have the one bun! The buck who will breed with my girl is owned by a very close friend and has very good lines, so i dont need an un-neutered male here.

i would say long as you pass your homecheck there would not be a problem, you would not be able to breed from him so that is not an issue. i know some rescues have some strong anti breeding views but if you are giving the bunny a good pet home i would imagine most would allow you to adopt

I don't see how that would work really, even if the buck was neutered you'd probably end up having to separate them whilst the litter was raised, which wouldn't really be fair on the buck and very confusing for him. Plus you'd have to separate them so the female could breed with another male, and there is a good chance they would fight if reintroduced after that, as she would smell different and had got used to another bun.

Personally I wouldn't rehome a bunny to that, as I would consider it a home where the bond could be at risk and the bun could end up being single for periods of time. I don't think it would be fair on the male bun.

Last edited:
Yeah, not to sound mean or anything, but bonding a rabbit that is to be used for breeding could prove problematic.
Pregnant does have a tendency to get grumpy so you'd most likely have to seperate them soon after mating. That could end in both bunnies getting depressed on their own. Also reintroducing them 3 months later may not be the easiest.
I know some breeders allow their rabbits company just by having them live side by side each other, as un-neutered rabbits very rarely get along.

I don't think it would work tbh, they'd have to be seperated at times and it wouldn't be fair on the male bun. I wouldn't rehome to a breeder anyway.

ok thankyou for you input. I was a bit worried about the bond thing too, thought about splitting them via wire while she has babies but guessing that wouldnt be acceptable either.

Shame really as i have a fantastic home for another bun and it would be spoilt rotten.

There is no way I would rehome a rabbit into that situation. It would be stressful and confusing.

I would rather see my rabbit in a pet home with a pet doe who would be his constant and loyal companion plus all our bucks must be rehomed to neutered does anyway to avoid hormone related bullying.

If you so want to get a litter on your doe, why not neuter her afterwards THEN get her a friend? ;)
I think that would be far better than her having to be separated from her friend after being mated. I've heard stories of buns almost grieving themselves to death after the loss of a cage-mate. Some stop eating, which could be disasterous for a pregnant doe.

I just cant see how you would want to breed from this bun,i would get it done get it a pal and let them live in harmony,there much more fun when a bun is happy than if you was breeding from it,go on prove them all wrong and get it done.:D

Back