• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Castration No Poops

Kovu was castrated today, got him home about 6pm and hes feeling very sorry for himself!
But so far hes not ate, drunk or done any poops! Should I be as worried as I am? Is there anything I can do for him?
My poor baby :(

It was done around 2:30pm and hes had 0.15 Metoclopramide Injection which I assume is a pain killer. Hes also been sent home with some Protexin Bio-Lapis which I put on his food, but if hes not eating yet its hard to give him it...

ETA: Ive just witnessed him eating a couple of bits of Pure Dried Grass so thats a start

Last edited:
Kylie, have u been back to the vets if hes not eating his food? Ive been told to go back if he hasnt ate within 24hours! Plus got a check up Monday.

He is eating just not his pellets. I wouldn't ever risk him. He is off to the vet for his check up in the morning. :D

Metoclopromide is a gut stimulant, metacam is a painkiller :) If hes eating little bits then thats a good start. Try tempting him with his favourite things to get him to eat more. Bailey didn't want pellets when he was done, he just ate hay to begin with. How do you give water? He might find a bowl easier for the next couple of days so he doesn't have to reach up for water. Hope he feels better soon :)

Last edited:
Buster is drinking from a bowl. I also mushed up some pellets in hot water and syringe fed him. He is quite partial to rocket at the mo.

Also try holding the water bowl right upto him so he can drink from it. One of mine wouldn't go to the bowl herself and after she had had a drink her appetite started to pick up :D

I just put a bowl of water in with his Protexin mixed in so I hope he has it.
Put a big stick of Kale in from the market and he soon grabbed it off me and started eating it!!!

I just put a bowl of water in with his Protexin mixed in so I hope he has it.
Put a big stick of Kale in from the market and he soon grabbed it off me and started eating it!!!

Yay thats great news :D Hopefully he is on the mend then! You can always wet the veg before you give it to him too, get some extra water into him that way :)

Back