• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best Before Date advice needed please

Becca6

Mama Doe
I've just realised that the bag of Excel I bought from my vet 3 weeks ago has a Best Before Date of 03.10.07.

Bella and Tarquin were both on SS until they stopped eating completely a few weeks ago. The only thing they'd eat were Excel pellets, which I had a few left of after moving them onto SS. They both had to be treated for stasis and although not the right way to do it, rather than them eat nothing at all, I got them back onto Excel as they wouldn't eat SS at all for a week.

I've been giving them a mix of both since then, with the aim of getting them back on just SS eventually. I didn't want to waste the Excel but now I've seen the BBE date should I bin it or reduce Excel over the next few days til they're just on SS?

As they only get a handful in the morning and about 6 pellets as a bedtime treat (slightly less for T), the bag would have lasted months.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not checking BBE date before buying it, but I was so worried about Bell and T that I didn't think.

Any ideas on what is the best thing to do?

Thanks.

Rebec

Last edited:
As it is a best before rather than a use by date I don't think it will do them any harm as long as it has been/is being stored correctly :). With a best before date the company can only guaruntee nutrional/vitamin content etc to that date. Hope that helps :)

I work for Trading Standards. A best before date is just a guide and food can still be sold after that date as long as it is fit for consumption. It will be fine.:D

Thanks Jocelyn and Toffee.

I do get confused with Best Before and Use By dates!

It's kept in my spare room - no heating on in there as it's where Bell and T's cages are.

I won't just stop giving it then, but with the small amount they get I will have to throw the rest away at some point - just glad the SS sack is best before 2009!

Rebec

Last edited:
Its basically a disclaimer meaning that the manufacturer cant guarantee its quality after this date and also in some animal feeds its an indicator of when the nutritional values of the feed may start to decline, rather than it actually going 'off' in the traditional sense.

Back