• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

prepulcid discontinued

jackie.m

New Kit
Hi I have a 7 year old dwarf lop called Henrietta. I had to take her to the vets on monday because she had stasis. Her gave her an injection and some prepulcid syrup to have twice daily, enough to last until thursday when he wanted to see her again, but he said they only had a small amount left because it had been discontinued. By Thursday she was brighter in herself but very selective with her food and her droppings were still small and sticky. When we got to the vets he examine her tummy (different Vet) and because she was still tender he said she probably has a ulcer and told me to get some gaviscon. And he could not give her any more Prepulcid they had none left, so she is with out anything to help the Stasis, other than pain relieve. Can anyone help with suggestions on how I can help her or if they now if there is an alternative medicine. I feel so helpless surely ther is some other medication they can give. Today Friday her droppings are a little bigger and she is eating a bit better, but a do worry without some help she is suffering longer then need be.:( :(

What is it? A gut stimulant? My vets gives me metoclopromide for stasis, but you need a prescription for it, or need to get it directly from the vets. Is your vet a rabbit savvy one? Not all vets are very experienced with rabbits thats all. I'm not sure about the ulcer. Hopefully someone will be along soon with better advice than mine! Welcome to the forum :wave:

Hello

Prepulsid was withdrawn a few years ago due to adverse reactions *in humans*

Your Vet can apply for a licence to obtain Prepulsid (Cisipride)

Your Vet needs to make the licence application here

http://www.vmd.gov.uk/

using this link

http://www.vmd.gov.uk/sis/default.aspx

My Vet prescribes Ranitidine (Zantac) for Buns with a suspected GI Ulcer.
Gaviscon wont really be that effective in *healing* the ulcer but *might* control some of the symptoms

Janex :)

Last edited:
I was also informed that prepulsid was withdrawn some time ago and is now only available to be ordered for 'named' patients.

We now use injectable metaclopromind/emequell.

I have never heard of using Gaviscon for (rabbit) ulcers, my vet recommended Zantac for my rabbit with chronic GI problems.

Last edited:
Is that what zantac is? :shock: I've been given that for Bailey before :( Could it sometimes be given as a preventative if giving metaclop? As the vet never said anything about a possible ulcer to me :shock: I thought he said it was a gut stimulant which worked on the upper gut or something.

Hi I have a 7 year old dwarf lop called Henrietta. I had to take her to the vets on monday because she had stasis. Her gave her an injection and some prepulcid syrup to have twice daily, enough to last until thursday when he wanted to see her again, but he said they only had a small amount left because it had been discontinued. By Thursday she was brighter in herself but very selective with her food and her droppings were still small and sticky. When we got to the vets he examine her tummy (different Vet) and because she was still tender he said she probably has a ulcer and told me to get some gaviscon. And he could not give her any more Prepulcid they had none left, so she is with out anything to help the Stasis, other than pain relieve. Can anyone help with suggestions on how I can help her or if they now if there is an alternative medicine. I feel so helpless surely ther is some other medication they can give. Today Friday her droppings are a little bigger and she is eating a bit better, but a do worry without some help she is suffering longer then need be.:( :(

What area do you live in?

I think its used with animals on longterm courses of anti-biotics....or it might be painkillers....

Its not Metaclopromide though.

Zantac is often prescribed for a Bun on longterm NSAIDs (eg Metacam) or for a Bun who has been anorexic. A Rabbits GI tract can start to ulcerate after just a few hours of being empty.

I have noticed a marked improvement in recovery rates of Buns who have had GI stasis now that my Vet has agreed to me adding Zantac to their treatment regime

Janex

Zantac is often prescribed for a Bun on longterm NSAIDs (eg Metacam) or for a Bun who has been anorexic. A Rabbits GI tract can start to ulcerate after just a few hours of being empty.

I have noticed a marked improvement in recovery rates of Buns who have had GI stasis now that my Vet has agreed to me adding Zantac to their treatment regime

Janex

Thats scarey :( He was given the zantac the second time he had stasis (as well as metaclop) and he did go back to normal very quickly, although he wasn't in proper stasis that time, because I picked up on it up early. Thanks for that info Jane :D
Sorry for hijacking your thread jackie.m :oops:

I believed it was an oral alternative to metaclopromide which vets were more happy to give to owners for self administration?

Ah well, I only discovered it existed last week anyway when we were discussing Caspians GI problems at the vets.

I also found out metaclopromide is used to treat nausea & sickness in people by reading the instructions on my cold and flu leaflet!

Might be way off here...but doesn't prepulsid act on a different area of the GI tract to Metaclopromide? :?

Amy

Yes it does. You can use both Prepulsid and metaclopromide at the same time. Aswell as metaclopromide I use cisapride tablets instead of Zantac as I find them far more effective, unfortunatly to get them I had to buy 210 of them from abroad (perfectly legal ;) ). Cisapride has saved numerous bunnies and recently one of my piggies :D

You are also right in that you can get oral metaclopromide, its called Maxalon syrup ;)

Thanks for that info Cheryl :D

It's about 5 years since I had to use motility meds, so I'm not very up-to-date on current treatments.

Amy

Yes it does. You can use both Prepulsid and metaclopromide at the same time.

My vet uses both at the same time and also said they work on
different areas in the gut. She tries prepulsid first (has the special license)
She also prescribes Zantac for stasis.
My bun La Rue had a terrible bout with stasis that lasted a month,
and I think zantac played an important role in saving her life.

My vet uses both at the same time and also said they work on
different areas in the gut. She tries prepulsid first (has the special license)
She also prescribes Zantac for stasis.
My bun La Rue had a terrible bout with stasis that lasted a month,
and I think zantac played an important role in saving her life.

I agree 100% about the Zantac, it makes a huge difference

Janex

Prepulsid saved my prem babies life, he was 2 and a half months early and saved Dotty my little Nethie bunny :D

Back