• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My dutch cross with embossed eyes (photo)

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
minnie4908gr8.jpg

My adopted bunny at SPCA is a dutch cross. There is something different about her than a regular dutch:

1) Her fur is short, and it is not thick, whereas my other 2 bunnies, as well as all my bridge bunnies' body fur are nice and thick.

2) her head is triangular vs. my other 2 bunnies (and my past bridge bunnies) in which their head is round

3) but what surprised me the most, is her eyes is embossed outwards, whereas all my other bunnies' eyes are relatively flat, as part of the surface of the face.

Does anyone has a rabbit with the above features?

Awwwwwwwwwwww they are both so stunning Jason and they look like professional photographs of you! :thumb:

Awwwwwwwwwwww they are both so stunning Jason and they look like professional photographs of you! :thumb:

That's just the way the photo turns out. I use a tripod, and so happen the sun is shining in the right angle at the time the photos were taken

I really wouldn't worry Jason she just has that surprised bunny look about her my Bobby is goggle eyed too :lol:

She looks quite young? Young bunnies tend to have skinner looking features.

You're other bun is a lop and they have much squarer faces and big eye brows so the ears don't look so prominant.

Her face is much closer to a natural rabbits. It's also possible she could have a cross somewhere in her parentage.

Tam

No kidding she is a cross.:D Okay, she is 1 yr. old, so she most likely will grow for another 9 mth. But I have rabbits for 9.5 yr now, and by the time they are 1 yr. old, their skin/fur should be very thick and loose. However, my experience is with Flemish Giant only, although Monty (The Lop) also match the above pattern.

Her body is lean, I can't feel any loose muscle, so what should a normal rabbit muscle feels like? Because Monty is also loose on his skin

As to her head, she resembles more like rodent, let's have a look at Goofball's head:

goofball3994xq1.jpg

You guys can see, Goofball's head, along w/ my other bridge bunnies (all Flemish Giant), are all nice and round.

Tam, you're saying natural rabbits is more like rodent? So bunnies like Monty or Goofball are not natural rabbits?

Then there is her eyes, as I said, Minnie's eye ball are extruded outward by quite a bit. Here's Goofball's eye:

goofball3997kz7.jpg

You can see it's flat at the same level as her face, just like a human eye flat at the same level as a human face

It's just so different and it'll take a while to get used to. On the other hand, her personality is excellent, very affectionate and very nice to me

Goofball looks like s/he has a slightly squished/squarey type head too. Wild rabbits have quite long, thin faces compared to say lops or nethies with their squished up square faces [hence them having more problems with teeth]

I have fostered two Dutch bunnies, and it is quite normal for them to have a slim face and protruding eyes. Wild bunnies have those eyes to see what's going on beside and behind him. It was just us humans who had to breed rabbits with square faces and lopped ears, they can't see what's behind them and can't use their ears like a wild rabbit either. It looks cute, but is not very practical for survival in the wild. And the shorter face can cause tooth problems.
My Dutch fosters also had rather short fur, that's normal for them. And they were quite active and intelligent.
So I wouldn't worry, you have a perfectly normal and very pretty Dutch girl.

So my lop has a higher chance of teeth problem than my dutch? Why is square face bunny has a higher chance of teeth problem?

So my lop has a higher chance of teeth problem than my dutch? Why is square face bunny has a higher chance of teeth problem?

I am not sure, but I have heard that from several vets. They said because their face is shorter, the jaws are shorter, too. It's similar to Persian cats who get nose and eye problems because of their squashed face.
Maybe you can find a more detailed explanantion on Google.

Back