• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescues and people with lots of buns do you go on holiday!?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Although not one to have many holidays away...I thankfully have a very nice brother-in-law who normally pops in twice a day to look after my cats. However this year, although only for a few days he also had 2 bunnies to take care of!

Although he did look after them all, I did fret a bit as he isn't into rabbits at all and if anything was wrong he wouldn't know so if I go away for longer than a weekend in the future I would have to put them into bunny boarding.

I'm very keen to have a rescue or foster buns in the future (years from now:( ) but wondering if you do take holidays/time out and who looks after all your buns as some of you have zillions!

I can go away for 5 days max. and Phil takes care of the bunnies and other pets.

We cant go away together anymore though :(

I can go away for 5 days max. and Phil takes care of the bunnies and other pets.

We cant go away together anymore though :(

Is Phil your other half? And you don't get to go away together!? Mind you reckon my o/h would gladly holiday without me bit of peace and quiet from my daily garbling!

I'm lucky enough to have neighbours and relatives looking after my pets when I'm away.
Last year when we went to Bulgaria for a week, I asked my neighbour to look after my two rabbits (hadn't gotten Aroma yet at that time). They already had one rabbit of their own, so it was no problem:D
Also this summer when we went on a camping trip (mom "forced" me to go:lol: At least I got my Harry Potter Book) I took Aroma along and left my grandma to care for Sasuke, Zakura and Temari (cause there's no way I could fit 3 rabbits and a hamster in the car:roll: It was tricky enough with just two the year before. Instead I chose to only bring one.)

I can never go away for more than 1 over night as ive noone to look after my rescue or my own rabbits. Mind you ive been a single mum for 20 yrs so ive got used to no holidays:lol: I would rarther have my rabbits than no animals and a holiday once a year. What would i do with all that time. val :lol:

Is Phil your other half? And you don't get to go away together!? Mind you reckon my o/h would gladly holiday without me bit of peace and quiet from my daily garbling!

Yeah he is.

Its problematic with family situations but we live and work together so its really the only time we get apart. He is going away from tomorrow then 3 days after he gets back Im going away for 3 days.

I do try to drop our rescue numbers if Im going away though as although he can cope with the basics, syringe feeds, jabs and nursing are out of his league so I let the vets know just incase.

I only ever go away for three days maximum, and NEVER more than once in a year. When I DO go, my eldest daughter (she's 28 ) looks after my bunnies for me. She keeps buns too, so it works out well!

Chloe and I have a sort of pact :lol: I look after some of hers and she will do the same for me :D The other buns will be looked after by my son :D

gosh, will stop my moaning now about my last 'proper' holiday being 2 years ago! We do get to go away a few times a year now for a weekend as my partners parents retired in wales:) so we get free breaks there which is great as they live just a few miles from the sea!

well I'm in wellingborough so if anyone wants to share 'pet-sitting' with me ;)

one of the benefit of a holiday is that when I left for 4 days (back then I only have 1 bunny), I want to see if my bunny misses me or not. My current and the last bunny doesn't care when I came back -- Goofball and Little Happy. But with my first 2 bunnies, especially Happy Bunny, she shows that she really misses me by keep licking me when I come back.

Regardless whether I have 1 bunny or a lot of bunnies, I wouldn't take a vacation more than 4 days.

I have to say, not even getting an evening off, a day off - never mind a week off in 2yrs is wearing - I wouldn't have more than 4 rabbits/piggies in future times as that's about the max I'd be prepared to board. It's a bit different at the mo as I deliberately tied myself down with this lot for the duration of my son's childhood - previously I couldn't resist late deals on holidays, and he's scared of flying to the extent he won't even let me go alone without major panic attacks :roll: My ball and chain works a treat, but I'm awful bored/tired :rolleyes:

Elve - you need to arrange a houseswap for a week with an animal lover wanting the guinea-slave experience :lol:
I don't tend to do 'holidays' but will go visit my best friend in Devon several times a year. Family look after the critters, I can take any poorly ones with me if they're fit to travel as she's an animaly person herself (ones that can't travel stay at the vets) and I tend to stay 2 nights/3 days.
I think it's important to get a break from the responsibility otherwise you start begrudging it and not enjoying them as much.
My mum even strangely volunteered herself for a week of animal-sitting but then I went and got bronchitis so had to stay home anyway :roll: I'll be saving her offer for next year when I'm hopefully going abroad though!

I can't afford to go on holiday, so it's not an issue at the moment (currently renovating my house...very slowly :roll: )

I do often think about it in case I need to go away (or worse I'm ill). For a short period of time I would get a pet sitter (probably CottonMather on here). For a longer period of time I think I would probably split them up and send a pair out to any rabbit-friendly people I know.

Dom (my O/H) doesn't mind feeding them, but he won't clean them out :roll:

Amy

Holidays

It is hard to rely on someone to take special care of your pets. Bunnies can be more fragile than people think.It was the same when the children were small, who can you trust :?
I haven't been anywhere since I had mine but I don't think it bothers me, perhaps I'm a bit of a homebody.

My dad offers to take care of my pets [I have rats, mice, a hamster, buns and cockatiels] if I want to go away which is nice but I'm too worried that he wouldn't recognise signs of illness in any one of them - especially the buns - plus ensuring they stay out of trouble [they're free range in my room] and feeding them correctly.. I don't mind too much, but it'd be nice to go away for more than one night :)

My mum and sister look after mine between them when I'm away, but i don't tend to go away for longer than 3/4 nights cus I worry and miss them too much!!!!! :oops:

i do because i live with my parents (im 19) so when i go away thery look after them for me, bcus often they go away with my younger brother and i look after the dogs for them, (ones mine but one my bros) so its all fair.

but i only go away when i dont have holiday boarders

With animals at ARC, we tend to try and move animals if we have spaces, which saves someone having to go in and feed someone else's foster animals. Usually one of us ends up having to go to another foster home to feed them.

Most of the foster homes for ARC rarely go away which does make life easier for everyone. I am not suggesting though if you are an ARC foster home you cannot have a holiday :?

Back