• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Other Giant Rabbit Would You Have I Have A Girl Conti

sandysan

Warren Scout
Hi
I Have The Chance Of Another Giant Rabbit I Already Have Belle Who Is A Female Conti. She Has Not Beeen Well Recently Due To Muscle Waste In Her Back Legs But I Think She Is On The Mend .

I Want Another Giant Rabbit And I Have Had The Offer Of Another One Off The Same Breeder And The Same Parents As Belles.

Is It Bes To Have Another Girl Or A Boy????????????/

I Also Have A Little Rex Male Who Bonds With Bell Great

How did she get muscle waste in her back end? Did she have it when you got her from the breeder? :?

I would establish iof the muscle wastage is due to a genetic fault before buying from the same parents again.

If it is, then a responsible breeder would cut both lines :?

A doe will bond easiest with a buck.

Last edited:
Vix

IM NOT SURE VIX. SHE IS 1 YEAR OLD NOW AND ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO I NOTICED HER WALKING STRANGE LOPSIDED AND GOING THINNER ON THE SPINE AND THE BACK...I TOOK HER TO THE VET HE SAID HE THINKS MUSCLE WASTE SO HE GAVE HER COURSE OF ANTIINFLAMORTORY INJECTIONS...SHE IS EATING FINE . RUSSELL RABBIT FOOD AND HAY AND TREATS ECT.

BUT WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG SHE KEPT JUMPING ON AND OFF THE CHAIR AND SHE TWISTED HERSELF A FEW TIMES ???? WHEATHER THIS IS THE CAUSE I DONT KNOW

SHE IS DUE TO GO BACK TO A VET FOR CHECKUP .

Picture022.jpg

Sozz

HI

I DIDNT THINK YOU CAN GET MUSCLE WASTER GENECTICALLY. I THOUGHT IT WAS SOME KIND OF DAMAGE :shock:
HMMMMMMMMM.... SO IT CAN BE GENETICALLY???

THIS IS A PIC OF BELLE IF YOU LOOK AT THE BACK OF HER YOU CAN SEE SHE HAS LOST WEIGHT AND LOOKS A BIT THIN ROUND THE BACK PART :(

Picture028.jpg

Theres some very vague references to it (nothing conclusive that I can find) but large breeds are prone to it anyway......a lot of times it is undeniably linked to living conditions and the onset of arthritis.

I would suggest asking your vet about the possibility.

I meant the conditions the breeder keeps them in may contribute to muscle wastage if they are over confined...

Hip Dysplasia is a congenital condition that Giants are prone to. Has Belle had an X-ray of her hips/spine?

Janex

Jane

No She Hasnt Had Xray As Yet As My Next Resort Is A Blood Test Coz Im Scared If It Could Be Cancer?
Also My Vet Said To Xray Her It Will Be 200 Pound And For An Mri Scan It Will Be 700 Pound :(

I Tried The Rspca For Help But You Have To Be Means Tested On Bennefit Before They Will Help And Im Not On Bennefits

And Finding It Expensive At Th Moment So Im Trying To Do Bit By Bit I Cry Every Night Over Her She Is So Lovely And So Loving To

If I Can Rule Out Some Things With Blood Test Thats A Start For Me May Ease My Mind A Bit

Last edited:
Ah Jane to the rescue, I thought you would know for sure if there was a genetic possibility ;)

Sandysan- Im sorry you are struggling with her but I would suggest that you are not currently in the financial position to take on another rabbit, let alone another that may go on to develop the same symptoms if you cannot fund easily fund Belles treatment at the moment.

Back