• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hungry bunnies?

Dobbin

Mama Doe
hello

How is everyone?

I am posting this in the hope someone can please help me. My bunnies have hay available all day, lots of it. When i go out to feed them in he morning and evening they go mad - you would think they have never eaten before!! I give them about 10 pellets each a day and 1 papyay tablet each a day. Does anyone think we are not feeding them enough? The vet said 10 is more than enough pellets each a day, i know i am just worrying but i thought i would ask your opinions - Thank you

Sue
xx

I'd say to give them some veg everyday. Something like spring greens would be good.

My 2 get about 20 pellets a day, hay all day and quite a lot of veg everynight, but they need more food due to the size of the room they live in.

mine are always hungry, anyone would think they hadnt eaten for months:roll:

Mine have plate of veggies in the morning with pellets then some more pellets at bedtime with hay all the time.

Mine have their pellets in the morning and their veg at night becuse my brain doesn't work well enogh in the morning to cut up veg.

I think I over feed mine, they have small amount of pellets in the morning with a little veg and the same at night.. They have lots of hay in the day I fill their 2 hay racks 3 times in a day they also graze on the grass..

Mine get a small handful of pellets am and then three varieties of veggies pm plus copious amounts of hay.

but they need more food due to the size of the room they live in.

Never heard of this. Is it because they burn it off through excercise:) ? Mine live in a 6x8ft shed with attached run.

I agree about the veg. Mine get everyday a lge leaf of greens, an inch of Carrot, some Celery or Cucumber and Brocolli twice a week. For an occasional treat they get a very small piece of apple.

They also have hay and some pellets morning and night and dried grass around lunch time :oops:

:wave: mine have handful of pellets each morning and night and veges morning and night and hay all day adn then things like cone flower, herbs, fruit as a treat every now and then.

I give mine about one and 1/2 handfuls in the morning and evening. No veg as of yet and ab-lib hay. they also look like they haven't eaten for months. :D

Never heard of this. Is it because they burn it off through excercise:) ? Mine live in a 6x8ft shed with attached run.

Well yeah I think so, if a rabbit is kept in a small hutch and is fed the same as mine get fed it'd be huge! But where my bun's have to move around loads to get from where their hay is to their water, or their bed to mine :roll: I figure they need more food as they use more energy. And they have huge long hyper moments where they run around all stupid!

Depends a lot if they eat the hay - Maa won't eat much hay so I give her more pellets than the others. The girls in the shed eat tons of hay, so they just have a small handful twice a day - but Benny doesn't run around as much as they do, so he just has about 15 SS pellets morning and evening. They all have a chunk of carrot, a small piece of brocolli and a medium leaf of spring greens every day too. They get fresh hay twice a day and won't eat it if it's left over from the day before.

Thank you all - i wonder if i need to give them some fresh veg everyday and not just the odd carrot end on occasions.

Sue
xx

Think I feed mine too mcu to then as they have pellets available at all times really otherwise they all act as though they have never been fed! Caramel in particular becomes very demanding and I get alot of, bowl throwing around nonsense in protest. :roll:

I only feed veg as a treat now... my vet advised me to give it a miss after Frankie had bloat and I haven't yet been brave enough to start reintroducing it. They have a handful of pellets in the morning and as much hay as they will eat the rest of the time. They don't go hungry but they still always get really excited about being fed though! :lol: I think it's just a bunny thing ;)

Dilbert and Rubens get a handful of pellets in the morning and plenty of veg at night, at the mo we have spinach, rocket, carrot and broccoli, dill and basil is also a favourite. They also have unlimited hay.

It's usually a fight for the food bowl morning and night with them shoving each other out the way and jumping all around, i'm sure people must think i starve them :roll:

My Treacle looks like Rubens!!! :love:

My lot get a handful of pellets (each) morning and afternoon, unlimited hay and some kind of greens in evening, at the moment they are having Curly Kale and they LOVE it (half price at Tescos atm :lol: )

Back