• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I know its been a long time but...

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I need some advice about Skip!!

Motherhood has taken over and I have not had much time to get online, although i still browse the site i don't often have time to post or reply to stuff :(

But i was hoping for some advice from you all about skip's VHD jab, it was due this month and i have decided not to get it done because each year his reaction to it seems to get worse.
Last year he refused to eat much for a couple days and i had to force feed him, also he got a massive lump at the site of the injection, the vet said i should seriously weigh up the risks of having the jab against not having it.
Problem is i do worry about VHD and wonder how easy it is for him to catch it? He lives indoors and rarely goes out esp this time of year when its horrid wether, hes getting older now will be 7 years next year so is slowly down a bit, and i worry the injection might really make him worse this year.
He will still be getting the myxi as he has no problems with this.

Well any advice or thoughts on this would be great, many thanks!!!

It's a tough call. But if Skip has had increasingly bad reactions to the VHD Vaccine and your Vet has mentioned not vaccinating again then personally I would go with that.

VHD is spread by direct contact between infected Rabbits, by insect and predator vectors (eg Foxes or Cats) It is a very 'tough' virus and can remain in the soil for a long time. It can be bought into a House Rabbits environment on our shoes/clothes should we come into contact with it outdoors.

Personally I would maybe miss this years vaccination and re-vaccinate next year.
Your Vet could also contact the vaccine manufacturer to see what they advise

Janex

My previous Bunny always had a reaction to the VHD, off his food for a few days, higher temperature, hunched up etc..

He seemed to be worse each time however the last time he had it he was on long term Metacam for dental problems and he was fine no reaction, didn't go off his food or anything. The first time in 6 years we'd had no problems.
He never got any lumps though.

I'm not saying that's a reason to get him done it's a very difficult decision just thought I'd mention about the Metacam, although that also carries risks. :(

A vet once told me the VHD jab can make the bunnies feel achey, like we do with the flu never heard anyone else say that though!!

A few people have mention the Lapinject VHD vaccine rather than the Cylap, as the reaction is less severe. Evo also reacted badly this year, but I will continue to get him done as o/h works outdoors, often where wild buns are seen. Next year though, I will ask for the Lapinject.

When I took Evo back this year, because is reaction was bad, the vet suggested that antihistamines could help with the reaction if he didn't pick up within 72 hours. Steroids could also be given, but this would stop the vaccine working.

As a side point, if you have insurance with Petplan, your insurance will be invalid if you don't vaccinate.

Here is the thread about Evo's bad reaction, he has reacted a little in the past, but never like this.

Back