• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care after neutering

Can anyone tell me if I need to keep Flopsy inside after he has been neutered (week Monday). If so what do I keep him in as I have no indoor hutch or anything I can make a makeshift area with. His carrier is a one with an open up top and he fills that so can't see him being comfortable in that for the night. Any ideas?:? :?

Can anyone tell me if I need to keep Flopsy inside after he has been neutered (week Monday). If so what do I keep him in as I have no indoor hutch or anything I can make a makeshift area with. His carrier is a one with an open up top and he fills that so can't see him being comfortable in that for the night. Any ideas?:? :?

He will need to be kept indoors because having a GA lowers their body temperature, so he will need to be kept in the warm. Its also means you can keep an eye on him and know whether he is eating and drinking and check he isn't nibbling his stitches. Is there anyone you can borrow a cage from for a night? Maybe you could get a dog crate? They are pretty cheap on ebay I think and they fold away to store flat. It also means you will have an indoor crate for emergencies if you ever need one. He can't be left in a carrier, moving keeps their gut going :)

I used an Argos fireguard against a straight wall. I'd defintely keep him in overnight, and then restrict movement for the rest of the week.

Never thought of that - I've spent the last couple of hours on ebay looking for a dog crate non of which were cheap!

Argos here we come. Thank you

When Fudge was done I was told to keep him inside for that night. Had his travel box in, with free run of the kitchen so he couldn't stray too far. I made sure he had extra hay to make a warm bed when he went out the next night and he seemed fine.
If you keep him indoors for a week he'll find it really cold when he does go out again. Luckily it's not too chilly at the moment. Hope all goes well.;)

Never thought of that - I've spent the last couple of hours on ebay looking for a dog crate non of which were cheap!

Argos here we come. Thank you

Also very useful for rabbit proofing; blocking off the kitchen, or as I am -currently sat with it around me & my computer desk to stop them getting to the wires!

Yep, I'm sat in the cage in my living room whilst the rabbits have the run of downstairs which is open plan :lol: I've also got a length of garden mesh in front of all my video/sky box/tv etc to stop them getting behind that, but I had to cut a little hole around the bottom of the TV screen!

Thanks all for help - heart came before purse (as always with Flopsy) and after a few unlucky bids on ebay for a dog crate I just bit the bullet and ordered him a new 30" one which is one its way. It will come in handy for bonfire night as I live quite close to an organised display so he can use it again for then.

How many nights does he need to spend inside after op? - I don't mind but I don't want to make it harder for him to go back outside.

Also as fireworks go off days in advance of bonfire night would I be better to take him inside as soon as they start and leave him in until they eventually stop (usually days later around here). My house is not a warm house with heating on all the time as hubby works outside during day so doesn't like it too hot inside.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. Went for his pre-op check today and everything fine for next Monday!!

When we had our female spayed she sulked and look so sorry for herself, :cry: but she was fine a few days later, we then got her a boyfriend who before the snip used to pee on her through the cage (yuk!) :lol: straight after his op with a handful of hay and some carrot he was bright eyed bushy tailed and ready to go exploring! he hardly noticed anything was missing:lol: and he learnt how to use the litter tray! Fingers crossed for Monday!:wave:

Thank you I am really nervous about Monday - I have booked his op for then as I am off work for a week (lucky me works in a school so lots of holidays :lol: )so can keep an eye on him.

I think bigger prob will be getting him a girlfriend as not a lot of rescues in northern england!! I am soooooo jealous of people down south who seem to have lots of rescue centres near them to do bonding. I have fallen in love with lots of bunnies but who are all millions of miles away!!!:cry:

A very good question - I'm wondering the same thing. I'm definitely going to block off the top floor of their hutch so they cant fall off the ramp in a panic and put a cover in front of the mesh so they cant see anything. I thought I'd see how they are like that this weekend as there are bound to be some, and if they really panic, I'll bring them inside for the Fri through possibly to fireworks night itself which is when most displays will be.

Buster was castrated last Wednesday and he had to have a hot water bottle and syringe feeds so be prepared for some sleepness nights.

Oh no - I was hoping to catch up on sleep being off work!:lol:

Have no idea how or when to go about syringe feeding if needed. Anything else I need to know after neutering.

I have bought him an indoor cage and guess I need just to put newspaper down on the floor - was just going to add litter tray, food, water and lots of hay.

I wouldn't worry unecessarily. If your vet is rabbit savy they won't let bun home if he isn't eating.:D Good luck

Back