• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buster is home but not very well

Kylie541

Warren Veteran
He is very sleepy. He has had a hop around the bedroom and do a poo (big soft one which I have wiped his bottom after) Not noticed him eat much but a half a beetroot leaf, a couple of strands of hay and a couple or yogurt drops and sun flower seeds. He is back in his pen now. Do I put a hot water bottle in? Is it normal?

They can often be a bit sleepy after an op, so i`d try not to worry too much ( I know it`s hard ).

The fact he`s already poooping & starting to munch is a positive sign as it means his guts are moving. Just keep offering him tempting foods.

Su.x

peanut was like that when he was neutured, as long as he is eating thats a good thing,but peanut didnt have much of an appetitie until the day after, hes prob just feeling sore! xxxxxx

Alvin was the oposite... he came home with a huge appitiete and then the day after almost stopped eating..... i swear this bun is trying everyway he can to be different to the crowd..... i think the gut stimulant must of wore off and the pain had set in..... if your baby is a bit off tomorrow dont worry cus Alvin was totally himself again by the sunday (op was on a fri) :D

So it doesn't matter if he is only eating little bits for tonight? Obviously if he isn't eating more tomorrow afternoon he was go back to the vets anyways.

as long as he gets some of his fav treats down i reakon hell be fine..... i was sooo worried about Alvin but when i actually stopped to think about it.... the pain killers wore off, eating must have been the last thing on his mind..... he didnt drink either so i just gave him wet veg that i knew he couldnt resist, even gave him apple too.... i was really bad with worry i slept on a two seater sofa that night incase he was poorly......pmsl so i know how ya feelin :oops: :oops: (and i was so tired the next night i made the o/h sit up with him)....

Buster is a housebun and is in my bedroom so I can watch him. I have been given some critical care and a syringe for him.

in your room.. how do you sleep?????? we had this little demon in our room when we went to scotland.... little monster was pinging his cage at 5am lol... he lives in his own room downstairs when we are home....

Squidgy wouldn't eat any pellets (which he usually loves) but he really gobbled up the grass, herbs and dandelion leaves.
He was right as rain within a couple of days.

They never want pellets after a GA, you have to give them everything they wouldnt normally be allowed :rolleyes:

Squidgy wouldn't eat any pellets (which he usually loves) but he really gobbled up the grass, herbs and dandelion leaves.
He was right as rain within a couple of days.

Same here, wouldn't touch pellets but stuck with the natural stuff. Buster will be in some pain and a bit more discomfort, so be patient, and you'll see him coming bak to himself soon :D

Ok had a bad night with him but after all night care and 3 hourly feeds I have got him eating herbs, leaves, veg and hay. He is now doing little poo's that are formed and is a lot happier in himself. I on the other hand am wrecked:lol:

Glad he's getting better.
It feels like forever when they're poorly doesn't it?

Tell me about it. I had to go to uni today all day had 3 lecture and two seminars and I was so tired. :rolleyes: Buster is all tucked up for bed with a hot water bottle to keep him snug. I am off to the vets on Saturday to complain at his treatment. Not looking forward to that.:shock:

Back