• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mini lop / small lop - how much difference in size?

bunny_scabbit

Warren Scout
hi

i am after some advice again.
i'd like to get an idea of size of mini lops and small lops?

also, if they are very small buns, would you pair one with a medium to large size bun? or would you try to bond similar size buns?

Mini Lops are the smallest of the lop family,it then used to be dwarf lops,german lop,french lop and then the english lop.

Now day's many people have mated dwarf and mini to make a small lop and dwarf lops with french lops to make medium lops, which makes things very confusing.:? :roll:

You can pair any sized rabbit with another no matter how big or small or whether it has upright ears or lop ears.

sometimes it makes sense to bond similar sizes so that they do not hurt each other. personally i would bond similar sizes but it wouldnt matter if one was a bit bigger than the other. x

A mini-lop is about the size of a small dutch......about 1.8kg I think, maybe a little either way.

cos preston weighs in at just under 4kg, i had considered him to be a medium size bun... hah, what a novice! do you think he is too big to put with a small or mini lop?

Heres size comparison:

15-03-07_1528.jpg

Marley the Dutch & Fiver the Minilop....about the same size.

15-03-07_1352.jpg

Scout (front) medium sized lop compared to Fiver (back)

Scout compared to Marley (who is the same size as Fiver the minilop)

15-03-07_1349.jpg

Last edited:
There are some sizes/weights here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/breeds.asp

If you're looking at Rabbit Rehome, often the guide small or medium is used because where they've been cross bred there isn't a clear breed e.g. dwarf lop or mini lop. A small lop would, in my mind be under 2kg, a medium lop 2-3kg and a large lop 4kg+

Tamsin

There are some sizes/weights here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/breeds.asp

If you're looking at Rabbit Rehome, often the guide small or medium is used because where they've been cross bred there isn't a clear breed e.g. dwarf lop or mini lop. A small lop would, in my mind be under 2kg, a medium lop 2-3kg and a large lop 4kg+

Tamsin

many thanks for that. yes, i have been looking at the buns available, but hadn't noticed the link to the breeds.

so preston is actually considered as a medium bunny, that's nice to know.

a localish rescue have a selection of mini/small lops at the mo and i am so wanting to get preston a companion.

Back