• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crunchie has broken her front teeth

heleni

Warren Scout
My Crunchie jumped out of my arms as I was nearer her hutch and she smashed her face into the wood and bricks around the bottom. I rushed her to the vet, luckily it was just before the vet closed, and it turns out the poor love has three smashed front teeth :cry:

She's been given a strong pain killer and goes in tomorrow to have the half broken one taken off and the other two filed to smooth. The vet said to give her some soft weetabix (I've mixed one with water and apple juice but she won't touch it!) but once the pain killer kicked in she tried to eat her veggies. I took them away briefly and chopped them into teeny tiny pieces for her and she seems able to eat them fairly well. The vet said her teeth should grow back through in 2-3 months.

I feel so guilty, though she's just so wiggly and I couldn't stop her jumping. Has anyone else had this, or knows of what I can do to make her feel more comfy? Hopefully Button is doing a good job of looking after her. Crunchie just looks so sad - her usually pert ears are practically lopped :(

Sorry to hear about Crunchie.

I had similar with a rescue guinea pig and once he'd had his teeth sorted, he really recovered very well.

Don't blame yourself though, my male, Inky, is terrible for struggling when he is being held, sometimes I just have to let him go. The only other thing is to load her into a carrier to move her to and from her run.

Lots of vibes

FC x

I am in the rabbit dropping club too :oops: :(

When Scout was a babe she jumped out of my arms and over my shoulder landing awkwardly on the concrete path and broke her femure :cry: I felt awful as she had to have quite tricky surgery to repair her leg.

I have a bun with no front teeth and he copes well, we just chop his food into small pieces for him.

we had an accident here some months ago, thankfully preston wasn't injured, apart from his pride!

he struggles so much when i pick him up (not when my o/h does though?!) and he jumped out of my arms. he has one of those large chew chubes, the green and orange ones, it stands up on its end and i put all his toys away in it, well, when he jumped away he went head first into the chube, there was just this big bunny bum with a fluffy white tail sticking out.

i was so upset, but when i do think back about it i just can't believe where he ended up..... he couldn't have managed to land in there if he'd tried.

needless to say, i don't pick him up now unless i absolutely have to

hope crunchie makes a speedy recovery

Last edited:
thanks for the kind words and advice. Crunchie seems happy enough for the moment and I have calmed down. She looks a bit fat-faced though, presumably there is some swelling. She has eaten lots of her veggies and has been trying to eat the hay but is struggling to pull it through into her mouth - guess she usually uses her front teeth. I chopped some of that up into small pieces too. I'm guessing I'll be doing lots of chopping for a month or two!

I'll give an update tomorrow when she's been to the vet.

Awww, bless her. She sounds like she's in the best hands.
My Squidgy has no incisors, so I chop his veggies and hay up, and he manages fine.

we broke Alvin the first week we had him :oops: :oops: :oops:

my stupid bro came with no notice with his little dog so as the o/h picked Alvin up he tried to jump, he managed to catch him mid air while moving to the cage, he then tried to escape again landing funny into his cage.... the next night i saw he was quite and still so off to the vets... anti-inflamitary injection on it was just a spain..... phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.. i never attempt to pick up alvin after that scare

Bunny dropping confessions from me as well (well my Mum). She dropped my rabbit Sh*tty in the garden whilst my 2 anti-social girly buns were out. They jumped on her and nearly tore her ear off. :shock: I had to rush her to the emergency vets, and the ear was sewn back again.

Amy

Bunny dropping confessions from me as well (well my Mum). She dropped my rabbit Sh*tty in the garden whilst my 2 anti-social girly buns were out. They jumped on her and nearly tore her ear off. I had to rush her to the emergency vets, and the ear was sewn back again.

OUCH!!! Naughty anti-social buns!!!

Think there is a large bunny dropping club - me too :oops:

Dumpling likes to try to jump just as you get level with her hutch and one time I wasn't quite prepared :shock:

She landed head first, shook, hopped in her hutch and started eating!!! And there was me panicing cus I'd dropped her!!! :roll:

aww poor Crunchie, I hope she's ok. when i'd just got Poppy I was bringing her inside in a cat carrier made of card so she could stay in over firework night, and the bottom fell out and she fell onto the floor then ran off all over the hosue. :(

As the teeth grow back, do keep an eye on them just in case that they misalign as they grow back. In the meanwhile feed your bun as one with no front teeth, finely cut veggies, pelleted food is easier than a mix. hay may need to be cut into shorter lengths. As they manage without any problems you can reduce what you are doing to return them to their normal nutritional needs.

Apparently Crunchie is fine after her GA. Sounds like she has been bounding around the vet's cage as much as she can. My other half will pick her up at 4.30, by which time any effects should have worn off. He had to go and buy her baby food in case she wasn't eating normally afterwards (I bet she will - if she's not in major pain she will eat!)

Crunchie was a bit woozy last night but was eating a little bit straight away. I think she is going to be fine. Hurray!

Back