• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A Little worried....

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Went to my local p@h yesterday to get Lionel one of tose litter trays with the back as he keeps going over the edge of his tray bless him!
Anyway thought i would have a nosey around while i was there - they have a hutch and run with 6 quite large lionhead buns in, i thought one of them was dead as the others kept standing on him but then i saw he was breathing. Thn i went round to the other side and they have this new glass tank - how horrible there was another 7 buns in there, one monster one was attacking all the others, there were flies in thereand it smelt and it was so hot they had a light shining right in! No staff to be sen anywhere i was in there 45 minutes i finally cirnered one of them and started asking q's about the bunnies like why are there so many together? have you seperated the males and females? etc he got really nervous and said they would all be sold on saturday when the kids come in then he walked off! Think i scared him
Do you think its right keeping them in glass tanks?

The glass fronted pens are better as it stops kids poking the rabbits through the mesh but the bunnies always seem hot, especially the ones in the small 'adoption' pens.

Were they open at the top?

Agreed. They also help cut down on the noise - they can be virtually sound proof at the bottom of the 'tank'. If it smelt, though, I'd be inclined to suggest the need to reposition the light or clean out more often. Thankfully the tanks at P@H near me seem to clean them out very frequently and they do provide an awful lot of toys.

Perhaps ask to speak to a manager next time? :)

Went to my local p@h yesterday to get Lionel one of tose litter trays with the back as he keeps going over the edge of his tray bless him!
Anyway thought i would have a nosey around while i was there - they have a hutch and run with 6 quite large lionhead buns in, i thought one of them was dead as the others kept standing on him but then i saw he was breathing. Thn i went round to the other side and they have this new glass tank - how horrible there was another 7 buns in there, one monster one was attacking all the others, there were flies in thereand it smelt and it was so hot they had a light shining right in! No staff to be sen anywhere i was in there 45 minutes i finally cirnered one of them and started asking q's about the bunnies like why are there so many together? have you seperated the males and females? etc he got really nervous and said they would all be sold on saturday when the kids come in then he walked off! Think i scared him
Do you think its right keeping them in glass tanks?

Could you telephone the manager?Poor bunny,a whole week of being trodden on by the others until some little brat comes in and want to buy him:cry:My pets at home are good,I always ask about the giants and what exercise they are getting etc

Back