• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worrying rabbit in P@H

Tank's_Mum

Warren Scout
Just got back from a quick trip to the local P@H on way home from work and obviously checked out the bunnies. They've got a medium-ish chinchilla lop in at the moment with what appeared to be malformed ears - both fell on one side of his head. The 'problem' ear had the ability to stand up, but when hanging down they both fell on the same side.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Spent the ten minute drive home trying to convince OH we needed to rescue another bun :oops:

is it a young lop?thumpers ears did that until he was about 3mths old.looks quite funny.x

Didn't look particularly young, I must admit. They had some really (too?) young dutches in with him but he was quite a lot bigger than Tank when we got him at 8 weeks, and he was even bigger than Tank now (3 months). Didn't look like a Frenchie though. I guess it's possible he was a cross. Wasn't happy with the depth of his eyes either - too much face fur that almost made it look like myxi (if that makes sense).

I had an adult rabbit whose ears did that, her name was Megan. There was nothing wrong with her ears that we ever found but I think it can be a sign of an ear infection??

02-06-07_1521.jpg

Thats about the third time I have used that image this week :oops:

Was that the extent of Megan's ear flopping? The one at P@H had his 'problem' ear pretty much flat against the normal one - imagine a side ponytail from the '80s :D

Don't think this is a cause to worry. Some lops are just born like this, although it obviously isn't a very desirable trait. :lol:

Amy

No....That was its best attempt to stay up right, it used to lie flat ontop of the other (so it was upside down) and still does sometimes (her new mummy fosters for me) but I never had a picture of that.

Hmmm, ok well I won't worry quite as much as my OH was when we were in there then :D But it's still not nice thinking he may be overlooked because he's 'not as cute' as the others :evil:

Hmmm, ok well I won't worry quite as much as my OH was when we were in there then :D But it's still not nice thinking he may be overlooked because he's 'not as cute' as the others :evil:

I think its a really nice quirk.

Megan didnt even make it up for adoption, Sue wanted her as soon as she saw her :D

I think its a really nice quirk.

Megan didnt even make it up for adoption, Sue wanted her as soon as she saw her :D

Oh I know, but you know what I mean :D Some people think 'perfection' is the only thing to accept. And I must admit we did seriously consider getting him. Wouldn't be surprised if we do end up rehoming him if he's still there in a week (might take a bit of rejigging the house :oops: ). I know P@H isn't exactly a rescue so it probably sounds strange, but it's not as if they vet their customers the way a rescue should and at least those we get from P@H don't end up being some grabby kid's plaything :censored:

Back