• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bun...risk

Poppymum

Alpha Buck
Back in the summer I lost all 9 of my (vaccinated) buns to myxo. I have got three beautiful guineas, but I am really missing bunnies. With me living in a rural area, and given that I lost all of my last ones, would it be too risky for me to get another bunster?

That must have been absolutely heartbreaking for you. It's really strange that all 9 should have died, having been covered by the vaccine. Could it have been a "bad" batch of vaccine? Or perhaps a particularly virulent strain of the virus? Either way, I think you should go ahead and get another bunny or two from a rescue (ensure they are up to date with their vacs when you get them) and trust to luck. It has been a dreadful year for myxi and my vet told me that the amount of vaccinated buns which have come down with the nodular strain has been incredible.

I agree with Hilda..... to lose all 9 is very odd and extremely unlucky. Did your vet vaccinate the 10% way, were they done 6 monthly??? just a thought.

I can understand why you'd be reluctant to get any more but hopefully a good frost will kill a lot of the disease spreading insects and fingers crossed we wont have another year as bad as this.:?

I'd get another pair and see how things go.

I am sooo sorry for you :cry: That must have just broken your heart

In my opinion that was a chancy thing that happened and you should get new buns when you are ready...There are some real beauties on that rabbit rehome site!

yes I wouldn't expect all 9 to die if the vet knew what he was doing when he vaccinated (10% in the skin) and if he knew how to treat them - so don't let it put you off getting bunnies but do check up on how other people on here have treated their myxi buns, to see if there's something your vet didn't cover - that might put your mind at rest?

yes, gthey were all vaccinated some of them were foster buns. The vet who pts most of them said that it had been a bad batch...

I really would love a dwarf lop boy, but a bit concerned

Back