• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop bunnies kicking when picked up?

toffee

Mama Doe
Hello.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to stop bunnies kicking when you pick them up?

My baby giant tears my arms to ribbons every time with her baby needle-nails and I fear the kicking will get worse as she gets older. I don't have a problem with my other 6 bunnies kicking and struggling.

Maybe it's that I don't know how to hold her with her being so big?

If i hold her with her back to me she kicks upwards and if I try to hold her facing me on my chest she tries to run over my shoulder and tears my neck to shreds.:?

Please help... I do not have much skin left!!!:?

Jane will know, she has the lovely Libby (she's huge!). So Jane - how do you pick her up? :)

AMETHYST

I've got 7 rabbits ranging from a teeny netherland to mini lops, to a big frenchie and conti giants. I usually find the smaller ones are the squirmers, wheras the big un's are quite steady.

I'd never hold a rabbit with its back to me as if it decides to kick out it could injure itself, even potentially break its back.

I always scoop the little ones up and put their head under my chin and hold them firmly - all of them used to squirm terribly, but they are a lot calmer now they know I'm not going to drop them - I think they feel your anxiety if you're not confident.

With the big ones I stroke their heads until they sink down (thinking their in for a major fussing session) then put my right hand under their front legs and my left hand under their bum. I then hold them in the same way as the little ones with their head under my chin, and their bum held in the crook of my left arm.

I think the main thing you need to do once you've picked them up is to hold them firmly. None of mine like me to walk with them in my arms so if I need to walk with them I rub their head to relax them, whilst keeping their eyes covered at the same time:D

Oh, and I have a "rabbit coat" (big old fleece jacket of hubbies) that their nails can't penetrate - always put it on for picking them up - even in the summer!

Thank you!:D

Actually, I think I picked Melanie up the way you suggested on Tuesday when we were at the vets. I thought it was strange she didn't struggle then. I had my right arm around her top half and her bum in my left elbow pit and held really tight.

All the other buns I hold tucked under my right arm quite tightly with my hands under their front legs and their heads under my chin.

I think it probably is a confidence issue as I've not had a giant before. I will practice picking her up plenty!! The scars are starting to heal now anyway!!:roll:

i pick up mine with their backs to me. I put my left hand under their chest and my right hand under their bum and pick them up and turn them so all paws are on my chest. I couldn't do it any other way.

I find it helpful with strugglers to put a hand over their head to cover their eyes.

I definately agree with this :thumb: My girl used to scratch me to pieces, escaping over my shoulders before I worked out that tucking her head right under my chin or putting my hand over her eyes worked. Shes quite small, so I don't know if you would manage to hold a giant with only one main hand supporting her, but if you could manage it I'm sure it would help :)

Thanks to everyone who replied. I picked Melanie up yesterday afternoon with her bum in my left elbow pit and my right arm round her body and her head under my chin and she didn't struggle at all. I think I may have mastered it!! :D

Back