• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nia..vid clip . ADVICE/OPINIONS PLEASE

capel

Warren Veteran
Here she is in the run . It's not all that interesting really, but thought you'd like to see it.

I'VE COBBLED 2 SHORT ONES TOGETHER. A BIT JERKY..SORRY

Last edited:
Thanks. I've just added 2 short ones(remixed to make one ropey one!!), the 2nd of which is when she went out this morning before I added her "furniture". I think she's got a very peculiar gait as she seems to trot with her front feet and hop with the back ones. Her back legs look too far forward as well..makes her bum look wierd!! What do you think? Is it just my imagination?

I wonder if I could have some opinions on Nia's peculiar gait. Have a look as the 2nd clip starting at about 2:24(Empty run). There is something odd about her back end. Leanne also noticed it when she came up tonight. I'm hoping it's cause by a bit of muscle weakness/wastage which can, hopefully, be rectified. She also holds herself oddly when standing still..her front legs don't come together and it makes her look as though she has a leg in each corner:shock: That's the only way I can describe it.

Hilda, I did notice her 'gait'. She looks quite heavy on the back end, difficult to tell on pics, but is she overweight at all? Really hard to tell on video too, but her back legs looked a little stiff. I guess this could be due to not having much excercise, or if she is older she could have a bit of arthiritis, but she seems to move round well.

I've had a couple of older buns here, but also some very unfit buns with muscle wastage and it does show in their 'gait'. Plenty of excercise time should help her. :D

Last edited:
dont know much about buns gait really :oops: i can see what you mean though :? if she were a dog i would be inclined to say problem with front feet mainly becuase as she is hopping when she stops quite often she would then hold the right front leg off the floor or start licking the underneath of her left fron foot :? i suppose you or the vet would have checked feet for overgrown dew, cuts anything stuck etc so i havent a clue sorry :? :oops:

Hi Donna. She's actually very underweight. I've put some more info up in a new thread in the care section.
Hi Abi. Her front feet seemed fine at the check, though when she is washing her face she tends to favour her left paw and uses it to keep her balance(i.e. puts it down first.)

I can't get the 2nd video to load either :(

From the 1st one, I'd say you don't have too much to worry about. Perhaps a bit of stiffness from arthritis as Doncat has suggested.

Arthritis in the front legs is quite easy to see. (Picture on link below):

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm

Advanced arthritis of the front legs is even more obvious because the feet start to curve under and you see bunion type bone spurs. Abscesses can spring up from the pressure points because the wrong part of the foot is in contact with the ground.

Back leg arthritis is more difficult to spot, but buns tend to be *wobbly*.

I know it's hard to tell from photos, but I think Nia possibly has muscle wastage rather than being *skinny*. She seems to have plenty of flesh underneath.

Amy

I can't get the 2nd video to load either :(

From the 1st one, I'd say you don't have too much to worry about. Perhaps a bit of stiffness from arthritis as Doncat has suggested.

Arthritis in the front legs is quite easy to see. (Picture on link below):

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm

Advanced arthritis of the front legs is even more obvious because the feet start to curve under and you see bunion type bone spurs. Abscesses can spring up from the pressure points because the wrong part of the foot is in contact with the ground.

Back leg arthritis is more difficult to spot, but buns tend to be *wobbly*.

I know it's hard to tell from photos, but I think Nia possibly has muscle wastage rather than being *skinny*. She seems to have plenty of flesh underneath.
Amy

Yes, that's what Leanne said last night when she saw her, until she held her.

She is abosolutely TINY in real life:shock: She is sooooo cute too:love: .

Bless her last night she is petrified of being handled:cry: .

I will have a look in my FHB book and see if theres anything in there...
Her gait is definitely not right, but I think it will improve with exercise.

To look at her she looks fine but I actually gasped when I picked her up - there is nothing of her back and hind quarters - it is very upsetting:( .

I am sure you will work wonders on her H x 8)

If its her spine and hips that are skinny, then it's probably muscle wastage. Old rabbits (if she is old) lose their topline.

The skinny rabbits I've taken in haven't had so much flesh around the belly.

I hope it is just that she's skinny...extreme muscle wastage can be bad news. :(

Amy

Thanks for all your replies. I'm contacting her last owner for some further info on the conditions Nia was living in when she got her. She said she was told the bun was 4-5 years old, but Kevin said that he really doubted that. He could be wrong of course.:) I know it's just going to be a waiting and watching game, but if there's something I can do to speed up any potential recovery then I'd like to do it sooner rather than later.

To me it looks as though she *might* have a hip problem :?
Maybe something she was born with or maybe the result of a previous injury.

Do you ever see her sit up and clean her face with *both* front paws off the ground at the same time ?

Janex

Hi Jane. Yes she quite often sit and washes with both paws. She can't hold the position for long, but will put one paw down for a second, re-adjust her position and then sit up again. She also did a very short periscope. I have upended a small washing-up bowl in the run for her, but she's made no attempt to get up on it. Hopefullly the weather will be nice again tomorrow so I can get in the run with her and take some USEFUL vid clips. I've spoken to Vicky tonight and she says she'll contact the young girl who had her and try to get more info on her. She does know that the bun lived in an indoor cage in the girl's bedroom.

Back