• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi vac none given base of ear

karen354

Warren Veteran
Its so hard get a decent vet round here, I quite often try out different vets to see if any are any good with the rabbits..
Bertis had his myxi vaccination today and Fizz her vhd, the vet didn't put 10% in the base of the ear :? I asked why he hadn't and he said we never have.
Her got his text book out after me making it clear I wasn't happy, in his book it did say it 10% can be given in the base of the ear all it can be all given in the scruff of the neck..
Is this vaccination going to be effective now?
And poor Fizz was bleeding after he vhd jab :cry:
Oh and no checks were done before the vaccinations were given, I did question this and he said as long as I didn't see them ill then there was no need!

My nearest savvy vet is 40 minutes away from here and thats on a good day. I use that savvy vet if one of them are unwell as he really knows his stuff. I usually use another local practise for vaccinations but thought Id give this other one ago and see if they are good with rabbits :( I won't ever be using them again :evil:

You'd think stuff like the 10% myxi in the ear and a check over of eyes, ears, teeth etc etc is basic standard stuff that even the most inexperienced vet would know do! :shock:

I know my vet gives 10% on the way out into the skin, rather than the scruff.
Maybe he did that, but wasn't very good at explaining it.

As long as 10% went intradermally all is OK :D
It is possible to do this in the scruff but it relies heavily on the injection giving skills of the Vet
The skin is thickest at the base of Rabbit's ears so it is easier to be sure that the needle goes intradermally

Janex

Rosie and Leo had their Mxyi last week and before I asked the vet if she did 10% into the ear. She told me this as a very old fashioned way and now most vets will do the final 10% just under the skin. Don't know if this is true. I watched her carefully and she pulled the needle closer to the skin for this last bit. So I assume it was done correctly.

If it helps, my vet's very rabbit savvy and she put the last 10% at the scruff rather than the ear of Tank :D

If you're unhappy or worried, could you call the rabbit savvy vet you know for advice?

I'm going to phone the vets later, what shall I ask him?

If it were me I'd ask about current myxi administration procedures and see what they say. If they don't mention specifically the ear, you can ask them if that's still the practise. If it isn't, you shouldn't have much to worry about but you can always then say you've had a rabbit given the myxi jab and are concerned about how much, if any, was dosed intradermally :)

As long as 10% went intradermally all is OK
It is possible to do this in the scruff but it relies heavily on the injection giving skills of the Vet
The skin is thickest at the base of Rabbit's ears so it is easier to be sure that the needle goes intradermally

My vet did mine this way. I was concerned about not seeing it go in the ear and didn't realise it could be done in the scruff this way. Well I can't complain as Monty has recovered from myxi so she obviously did do it correctly!:D :lol:

Back