• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do my buns HAVE to be litter trained?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was just wondering if my buns HAVE to be litter trained. I mean, I don't mind cleaning out their bedroom every day and they do use their litter tray most times. Are any buns on here not litter trained?

Of course they don't have to be - it's only encouraged 'cos it makes life easier for us bunny mummies to clean out:D

To be honest, I doubt most rabbits are litter trained. Sure, many on here will be purely because people on here are bunny people! But most pet rabbits? I don't imagine many people, not being so into rabbits, spend time training them. ^-^

I know both my first two rabbits were not litter trained. Well, they sometimes sort of did when indoors - when they felt like it - but in their hutches, they never did. One used the entire hutch as a toilet, the other used a corner but would not tolerate a litter tray in there.

Both my current rabbits use a litter tray wonderfully when inside the house - but in their hutches... Barney sort of does. He just pees at the further corner and in doing so half misses the tray, but all his poops are in there. And Amber was incredibly offended or something, by its presence in her hutch... she scooped out ALL the material in there, piled it up into a mountain at the front part of the hutch and then flopped beside it... before peeing in two different places and pooping all over, as per usual. :rolleyes:

It's just easier, sort of, to have them litter trained. But like yours, Barney always used his bed. So all it ever required was for me to clean out that smaller part of his hutch every day, and he was fine. Amber on the other hand... Ugh. There's no persuading her to make life easier for me!

My bunnies are half and half. They sleep in the shed overnight and have a litter tray in there and most of it ends up in there, though there are some little poo's and a bit of wee on the floor. But it doesnt really matter. They come in the house alot and they never ever go toilet when their in (ah, such good boys!:D )

I reckon most neutered rabbits train themselves and that it's much harder to train unneutered buns as they have the urge to mark their territory.

I would say although not essential, having it all in one place means that apart from being easier to clean, it reduces the risk of flystrike because the buns aren't tramping about over poop all day.

I managed to train my wildie to use her litter tray and shes really good, does some poops outside her tray but wee wees are always IN her tray, shes a good girlie :D

My new bun however has a litter tray in his bedroom as this is where he seems to do everything, does occasionally use it but mostly poops in his HAY and then will lay in it so has to be cleaned out everyday.

Back