• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rug another day......

Julia123

Warren Veteran
I've just sent my latest rug out to the garage....tried cleaning it with everything but still smelt of bunny wee. Thats 4 rugs in just over a year.... at a cost of over £600 :shock:

WHY DO MY BUNNIES NOT USE THEIR TRAY???!!!!!:shock:

I'm totally exasperated.....and my living room feels like a hutch :oops: :cry:

Any suggestions please????

Bunnies will now have to skid on laminate floor...... but i can't bear the mess anymore :roll:

They never wee or poo upstairs...just in my living room - whats it all about??

Have you tried a litter tray in the middle of your rug? Not the most decorative of items but if you can get them using a tray sat on the rug that's progress and you may be able to gradually shift the rug elsewhere.

You could also try vetbed which comes in rug shapes (oval) pieces. It's machine washable. It's designed to draw the wee down away from the surface though so you may need to put something underneath ( a puppy pad?) to soak up any moisture.

Tamsin

Have you tried a litter tray in the middle of your rug? Not the most decorative of items but if you can get them using a tray sat on the rug that's progress and you may be able to gradually shift the rug elsewhere.

You could also try vetbed which comes in rug shapes (oval) pieces. It's machine washable. It's designed to draw the wee down away from the surface though so you may need to put something underneath ( a puppy pad?) to soak up any moisture.

Tamsin

Thanks for the ideas, they wee on the edge of the rugs ;) i've put a small washable one down for now until i can get my latest one cleaned (no idea how??? only had it a couple of months :( ) Do you mean put the vetbed in the litter pit? They do use the pit, just not all the time ????? :roll: :roll:

I think its my newest bun - not really new had her 4 months now, who is the main culprit, but then the others follow suit. She isn't allowed (by Daisy bunny not me) upstairs so maybe she is making the room her own?

Think i have a temp solution with the small washable rug, but how do i train them? If i see them/Nush wee and try to put her in the tray she runs off :roll:

Hmmmm off to bed now any training tips gratefully recieved :)

Edit - do you think making them all stay downstairs would help???? Right really am off to bed now !

Last edited:
I would say a trip to Ikea for several of their cheap rugs..approx.£3...until you solved the problem!
Litter tray with some of their soiled litter in on the rug may help

could try rubbing the edge of cheap rug with something they don't like the smell of..not sure what though:? some rabbits don't like the smell of orange peel.... but some do and so might nibble rug...good luck!

Hi there,

Why don't you try without the rug for a couple of months & see it they start to use their tray nearly all the time. Then think about reintroducing a rug. They'll skid and slide a bit but they'll soon get used to it.

A couple of other things that worked for me (before sooty got sick) were

2 litter trays - Is it daisy who wont let other buns in the litter tray when she's in it, even though it's huge?
Put a partition of some sorts in your litter tray so daisy can't see anyone in the other half.
If you see her in the litter tray reward with pellets
Wipe up any wee with a bit of paper towel & pop it in the tray, then mop up the rest of the wee with a smelly cleaner (or vinagar)
Pop all poos back in the litter tray as soon as you see them.

Last edited:
:wave: Thanks for all the tips guys :D

I've been out at lunchtime and bought two storage boxes, about 3' x 18" and about 6" high each. Hopefully the new trays will help stop Daisy being territorial (thanks for reminder Lucy!) and will give me the option of moving one into the kitchen where Nush likes to lie but Daisy never goes.

My small washable rug will stay for a while until things settle, and i see a trip to Ikea coming for 'In the wash' days ! I'll continue poopa scooping as normal and HOPEFULLY one day soon the penny will drop!!

Oh, I've also found a local company who steam clean rugs :D so when bunnies behave I can put one back :D

Now.....what about Gabriel eating my wallpaper...........???? :roll: :lol: :shock:

use non slip vet bed as a rug :lol: :lol: lovely and soft on the feet, wide range of colours, wee wee goes straight through it so you would just need to mop your floor, machine washable and £18ish a large sheet bargain :thumb: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have your bunnies in an enormous dog crate with run attached. The run can be made out of a puppy pen. If you want them to have a run-on-able surface, you can buy those JML magic carpets and place a puppy pad (I use incontinence pads as they're cheaper) underneath. The magic carpets are machine-washable and mine have lasted ages.

AMETHYST

ooh wallpaper = chew stop (I've got some I can give you if you can hang on a week or so) & some newspaper which mine love to tear insted (YOu can also try used bills.....who needs a shredder)

ooh wallpaper = chew stop (I've got some I can give you if you can hang on a week or so) & some newspaper which mine love to tear insted (YOu can also try used bills.....who needs a shredder)

:lol: :lol: :lol: got the anti chew....no difference !!! well....needs decorating anyway !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe he's just helping !! just need cheap decorator now to get the rest off !! main thing is the wee issue may be getting better - two new litter pits now installed - currently Daisy in one Nushka in another (Gabe off decorating :roll: ) fingers crossed !!

Have your bunnies in an enormous dog crate with run attached. The run can be made out of a puppy pen. If you want them to have a run-on-able surface, you can buy those JML magic carpets and place a puppy pad (I use incontinence pads as they're cheaper) underneath. The magic carpets are machine-washable and mine have lasted ages.

AMETHYST

Good idea, its just i don't want to look at a big crate in my house.... call me nuts but i find the poo & wee less offensive !! :lol: :lol: Thanks tho :D

Good idea, its just i don't want to look at a big crate in my house.... call me nuts but i find the poo & wee less offensive !! :lol: :lol: Thanks tho :D

No I can understand! :lol: My bunnies were free range until very recently so I have lived with both situations. In our new flat we have an alcove where the dog crate fits perfectly so it seems far less intrusive. :D

AMETHYST

Well I'm completely stumped....RU magic maybe....

This morning came downstairs, NO POO OR WEE !!! NONE !!! on rug anyway...both litter trays used and all three bunnies in living room !!

Fingers crossed peeps !!

Well I'm completely stumped....RU magic maybe....

This morning came downstairs, NO POO OR WEE !!! NONE !!! on rug anyway...both litter trays used and all three bunnies in living room !!

Fingers crossed peeps !!

:lol: wow! Long may it continue! :thumb:

AMETHYST

Back