• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection

Laura416

Warren Scout
Thanks to all who responded to Mimi's head tilt post. She has an ear infection. It frustrates me to no end that she could have been on meds since Fri., but at least she's started drops and anti-biotics today. Our regular dr. was wonderful.

I just found a website that said rabbits need to remain on anti-biotics for at least 30 days or possibly for the rest of their lives - there is a poor cure rate. What have your experiences been? I'm so scared b/c I lost my other rabbit b/c of an ear infection :( It was horrific.

We have a follow up appt. in 2 wks.

I have had several Rabbits who have made a full recovery from middle ear infections, although they needed about 6 weeks of treatment.

My Vet usually treats for EC aswell as infection if a Bun has headtilt. Just to 'cover all bases' so to speak

Here is some info on EC and its treatment

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

I hope your Bun is now on the road to a full recovery

Janex :)

I hope your bun makes a fast and full recovery. I too am back to the vets tonight. Charlie has definitely developed a head tilt - is already on Baytril and Panacur (has had 5 days of it) Looks like we are both in for the long haul!!

Aww, Charlie's been in my thoughts ever since you posted. I hope he makes a full recovery.

What is Panacur like? Do they take it easily? Mimi is NOT good w/ medicine! My vet suggested crushing the antibiotics and mixing it w/ banana - she isn't fooled in the least! I managed to get her to take it but not w/o event... And the ear drops - omg. I had no idea it would be such a challenge (I've gotten it so far, but wow, the struggle!). The hospital said I can bring her back and they'll administer it to her for free, which is great, I just wish I could handle her better, she's so feisty.

Jack's-Jane~ Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I'm about to check the link now :) Much appreciated.

Took Charlie back last night -vet still not sure if it's ear infection or EC - both illnesses have same symptoms. Continuing on Baytrill and Panacur - got 3 weeks supply. He also gave him a shot of anti-inflammatry - he's not keen to do this long term as it has detrimental affect on immunity I think but Charlie has been great tonight - he's not been wobbling as much unless he 'begs' but has still got quite a head tilt.

Charlie takes his Panacur really well, I just squirt it in his mouth and he munches it down. But then again he eats anything. I was putting his Baytrill into probiotic yoghurt which it ate fine until yesterday - then I too had to add squashed banana to it and he ate the lot.

Is your anti B in tablet form? Our is in liquid so easier to hide I guess. I really hope they both make a full recovery. It is reassuring to know that someone is going through the same thing. Hugs and kisses and very good wishes to Mimi!!

Oh hun, I'm so glad Charlie isn't wobbling as much! I'm praying that he makes a full recovery that astounds the vet!! Please keep me posted on his condition.

Thanks for the info about Panacur.

So cute that he eats anything!! Charlie sure sounds agreeable :) I remember my parents gave our other bun drops in his mouth, and he didn't fight nearly as much as my attitudinal girl :p Yes, she has 1.5 pills in the morning. I've realized that the trick to making her eat the mix of AntiB + banana is to put it on her front paw b/c she's then obliged to lick it clean. Ridiculous, but if it works, I can't question it LOL

Back