• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

jelly poo...update SAT ..IMPROVEMENT

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
My old Thumper keeps doing horrid jelly poo . Hes done this on and off for ages (years) but in the past its only been occasionaly . I did think it was when he was starting to trouble with his molars but lately it has been more often ...every 3 or 4 days.... and even when hes just had a dental .

I cant think what can be causing it .

could it be stress related due to pain...is there something im missing??

He is also wet a lot of the time from urine even though he is on vet bed and im going to struggle to keep him clean now the weather is turning colder.I cant bath him in cold weather .

He is on antibiotics in case he has a bladder infection and im going to start him back on metacam. he has regular probiotic and has recently had a course of panacur....but dont know what else i can do:(

hes 9.5 yrs old ...so an old man and i know it may all just be down to old age:( hes very very thin and doesnt move around much...but he still tucks into his food.

Any ideas as to the jelly poo?

Last edited:
Hi Angie :wave:

Fiver had this secondary to him needing a dental (along with cystitis) and its caused by either an infection or an inflammation of the gut.....in his case he had not been eating enough fibre due to his teeth.

In cases where there is pure jelly being excreted as well it can be an indication of mucoid enteritis.

Fiver was treated with baytril, probiotics and a high fibre diet.

if it was enteritus wouldnt it be just jelly poo all the time . Thumps does normal poos inbetween .

he eats very little hay so could be lack of fiber . :?

From what I read earlier I think so.

Also you would expect other signs of digestive upset like a lack of appetite, signs of pain and possibly some bloat and stasis too. In other words he would appear more ill.

Can you get him onto a higher fibre pellet? I just switched Caspian onto A&P from science selective and am also giving him Fibreplex X3 daily as a boost.

Poor old chap :cry:
Lack of long fibre in the diet can cause occasional 'jelly' to be passed. But it's obviously going to be difficult to get an elderly 'dental' Bun to eat more long fibre.

You could ask your Vet about giving Thumper some Questran, perhaps every other day to start with :?

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Some Fibreplex would also be helpful

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=21

Or Pro-Fibre, but as its a pellet Thumper may not eat it

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=13

Christobel prescribes an anti GI Ulcer med , Ranitidine (Zantac) for Buns on longterm Metacam.

Thumper may be 'wet' more often now due to arthritic related immobility so it may be a good idea to get your Vet to assess this again.

I hope your special old Bun can be kept comfortable Angie, I know you will do everything possible to ensure that he is

Janex

When Maa had this problem it was intermittent with normal poo, and she was very thin too from refusing to eat hay - I just gave her a lot more pellets instead (SS) and she got better as she got fatter - She was having about half a 'rabbit' dish full twice a day when she was bad - now she has about half that in the morning, and quarter that in the evening as she was fat enough. I give her lots of hay in the hopes that the few bits she'll eat (she is very picky and digs all through it for these special bits) will be more than 2 strands, but she still leaves most of it compared to the others :?

I figured science selective pellets were high fibre, and the more she had going through her the more it would flush out the bad bacteria causing the jelly. I didn't think of taking her to the vets, but from other stories it might be a good idea to get him antibiotics?

As for keeping him dry - if he's not a chewer you could try the puppy training pads under his vetbed maybe? I think they have the gel they put in nappies so they should soak it up. You can use ordinary cooking cornflour for a dry bath if he gets dissolved poops stuck to him too - just rub it into the dirty fur and the dirt will get loose and slide off.

Poor old chap :cry:
Lack of long fibre in the diet can cause occasional 'jelly' to be passed. But it's obviously going to be difficult to get an elderly 'dental' Bun to eat more long fibre.

You could ask your Vet about giving Thumper some Questran, perhaps every other day to start with :?

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Some Fibreplex would also be helpful

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=21

Or Pro-Fibre, but as its a pellet Thumper may not eat it

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=13

Christobel prescribes an anti GI Ulcer med , Ranitidine (Zantac) for Buns on longterm Metacam.

Thumper may be 'wet' more often now due to arthritic related immobility so it may be a good idea to get your Vet to assess this again.

I hope your special old Bun can be kept comfortable Angie, I know you will do everything possible to ensure that he is

Janex

THANKS JANE .....
will the questran / fibreplex be harmful to flopsey as she is well .

can you get it online or does it have to be prescribed by a vet ?

think another vet visit is coming on but was trying to avoid it as thumps gets so stressed.:(

When Maa had this problem it was intermittent with normal poo, and she was very thin too from refusing to eat hay - I just gave her a lot more pellets instead (SS) and she got better as she got fatter - She was having about half a 'rabbit' dish full twice a day when she was bad - now she has about half that in the morning, and quarter that in the evening as she was fat enough. I give her lots of hay in the hopes that the few bits she'll eat (she is very picky and digs all through it for these special bits) will be more than 2 strands, but she still leaves most of it compared to the others :?

I figured science selective pellets were high fibre, and the more she had going through her the more it would flush out the bad bacteria causing the jelly. I didn't think of taking her to the vets, but from other stories it might be a good idea to get him antibiotics?

As for keeping him dry - if he's not a chewer you could try the puppy training pads under his vetbed maybe? I think they have the gel they put in nappies so they should soak it up. You can use ordinary cooking cornflour for a dry bath if he gets dissolved poops stuck to him too - just rub it into the dirty fur and the dirt will get loose and slide off.

hes on baytril , and metacam .

hes a very piccy eater . has mainly ss but some excell and a bit of mix .

Get fibreplex online!!!

Its about £6 as opposed to £10-£15 at the vets.

At the moment with the postal strikes you may be better getting one tube from them to use immediatley but you may want to stock up for future use, its really handy stuff to have around.

Oh and my vets only started to stock it a fortnight ago too.

Thumper is now on baytril and metacam.

i have also got some fibreplex from the vets.

if he doesnt improve we are going to try questran.

im also taking flopsy out 2 times a day so he can eat his soaked ss pellets in peace . im mixing in a few oats too. im worried about his weight.

he wont eat hardly any hay but loves alfalfa ...but im scared of giving him too much of this . he has it once a day but he would eat more ...at least its fibre:?

he likes his veggies , especialy celery but his teeth are such a mess it takes him ages to chew.He gets tired and gives up after a while. hed rather eat veggies than pellets ....but this wont put weight on ....but veggies have got fibre content ....:? :?
dont know which hes best off eating

I think your only recommended not to overfeed alfalfa because its fattening.....if he is under weight I dont think it would do him too much harm to have more liberal access to it.

I hope he perks up soon.

i thought Alfalfa was high in calcium and that's why it's a problem. I'm probably wrong, I shall go and see if I can find out!

:?

Alfalfa has a very high calcium content so if Thumper ever gets sludgey wee it'd be best to go easy on it.

Will he eat any of the dried grasses like Readigrass? I doubt it cos of his teeth :?

I have also recently found this

http://www.mistrys.co.uk/fibresure-fibre-food-supplement-powder-195g-100-nat-veg-fibre-p-2544.html

and I am going to speak with Christobel about its *possible* use for Buns with advanced Dental Disease

Janex

let me know what she says about that fibresure jane ;)

Thumper doesnt have sludgy wee ....luckily ....but would hate to feed too much alfalfa and him end up with it ....shame cos he loves it :?

he ll eat a little ready grass and a little herbal hay but not nearly enough . i think it tires him out eating it ....although to be honest hes never been a huge hay eater . when he was young i once tried stopping his dry food for 2 days to see if that would make him eat it ...but no chance:? :?

Back