• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are spring onions OK?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: I just gave my buns the green part of spring onions to try tonight as I figured they were just like large chives really! Are they OK for them to eat as I normally just throw them away??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Funny you should mention that, last time I took Katy for a check over the vet asked me if she had been eating garlic the night before as he was not sure whether it was him or her that had smelly breath, he then laughed and realised it was the rabbit. I then remembered she had been eating chives before I took her so must remember not to do that again!!:oops: :oops:

actually onions and garlic are poisonous for rabbits... at least that's what I always heard... all onions actually...:oops:

Yep onions are poisonous to lots of animals including rabbits and cats, so to be safe I wouldn't feed any part of anything from the onion family. I have a feeling it does something to the blood stopping oxygen from binding to it. I guess like a lot of these things it could well be dose related but as there are plenty of safe tasty treats I wouldn't risk even giving a tiny bit, even if it's been ok before.

:oops::oops: Gosh I never knew that............just thought that they are normally OK with herbs and just assumed that the chive was a "herb" too. I won't give them the chives and spring onion again then (he did love them!). I have bought some grow your own barley and oats and they are loving that so I will just have to stick to that.

Back