• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mucus covered poo

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Salt refused his breakfast this morning, so he was given Infacol and tummy rubs as well as some water and pro biotic. He also managed 2 pineapple tablets.
I chased him around the run a bit and then left him to settle.
He ate a dandelion leaf at 11.30, but has refused all other food. He's also done some poos, which were a lovely size and colour, but are coverd in a thin mucus type substance. The poos themselves are normal in texture.
Any ideas? I've 'phoned the vet but could only speak to a receptionist.
Oh, I gave him some recovery food too, in case the mucus was a reslut of his tummy being empty:?

no idea - but I hope he's better soon - if you carry on syringing water and mushed up pellets he might be better by tomorrow, if not then I'd say vets first thing for some metaclop, having checked there's no blockage to be felt.

Mucus covered poops are usually a sign of a stomach infection or irritation and usually require a course or anti-biotics and a high fiber diet.

Crystal had this same problem a few months back she was put on a course of Baytril, Fibreplex, i had to seringe feed science recovery and she was placed on a hay only diet it worked though shes back to perfect health. i would get him to the vets so they can sort out some treatment for him.

Forgot to say - Maa had this problem too, well over a year ago, and she got better all by herself when I more than doubled her pellets - I have no idea why but at the time I worked on the theory that the more food she had passing through her, the more the bacteria would get flushed out instead of being left in there to multiply. I increased her pellets gradually over a week, from about 2 scant teaspoons to 2 desertspoons, twice a day - she now has about half that, which is more than any of the others get, but she doesn't eat much hay (even when starving it seems)

Mucus covered poops are usually a sign of a stomach infection or irritation and usually require a course or anti-biotics and a high fiber diet.

I would tend to agree with Sooz, i have had this a couple of times and once it cleared up once it needed ab's and the most hurrendous time was a grass sickness which killled 4 of the buns. I would be tempted to take salt to the vtes for a check over and see if you can take some of the poo too.

I would tend to agree with Sooz, i have had this a couple of times and once it cleared up once it needed ab's and the most hurrendous time was a grass sickness which killled 4 of the buns. I would be tempted to take salt to the vtes for a check over and see if you can take some of the poo too.

Fivers was so bad that he ended up JUST passing mucus which was like a clear jelly in the carrier to the vets so we were able to show it to them.

His was yet another side effect to needing a dental, on top of his Cystitis :rolleyes: and he hadnt been eating enough hay.

He's eating hay now, and has done some normal poops. Fortunately he's a great hay eater.
I'll take him to the vet tomorrow, as I have a sneaky suspicion this may be a teeth problem. He's been a little dribbly recently.
Thanks for your replies.

Back