• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay - very fussy rabbit

racheld69

Mama Doe
:wave: If you had to recommend one type of hay for a rabbit that doesn't seem to like any of it what would you say (i tried the Hay Experts sample pack and he kind of picked at a few but nothing conclusive so want to order one or two big bags to try but not sure which)?

Have you tried the herbage hay? In was in an excel leaflet that I picked up at the vets recently. Sounded rather yummy. I ordered a small bag to try and everyone went mad for it. I have a fussy guinea who turned her nose up at hay. I tried her with a small amount and she ate it.

Just ordered a Timothy Hay Sample pack which you only pay £2.88 postage for - the 500g hay is free from West Wales Willows (recommended on another thread) so can try that. Will look at the herbage on hay experts too thanks.

i know you said one, but preston would recommend:

bunny basics oat hay

friendship estates pure dried grass

hay experts new alfalfa king timothy

and the vitakraft rose petal (but he has been banned from having this as he was eating far too much of it then i read the bag!! 2 handfuls a day)

i know you said one, but preston would recommend:

bunny basics oat hay

friendship estates pure dried grass

hay experts new alfalfa king timothy

and the vitakraft rose petal (but he has been banned from having this as he was eating far too much of it then i read the bag!! 2 handfuls a day)

Thanks for that - I have ordered the pure grass and got some of that new timothy hay being sent as a sample. Didn't see the rose petal stuff so will try that in the next order! Not used to non-hay loving bunnies so is a bit of a mare - especially as he is such a pig and nicks the cat biscuits given the chance etc! Don't want him to get really fat but don't want him to starve or eat hay he thinks is disgusting!

my buns really like the wagg stuff too :D just hard to get hold of round here :) but i think tescos or asda sometimes have it

My lot like normal meadow hay from local farm, BB's 2nd cut timothy hay, dried grass, oat hay, and not hay but.. they go nuts for the dried coneflower you can get from some petshops in those naturals bags:D

Back