• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rain!

capel

Warren Veteran
Ok.I know what my intinct's telling me, but I just want some opinions. My two buns are out in their run everyday regardless of the weather as they have a warm place to shelter. I spoke to Vicky last night to check that Nia is used to grass, and she says she was put out on grass everyday unless the grass was wet. Is this a nethie thing? She's so small I just wonder if that breed isn't as hardy as most.. I'm a bit sweer to put her out today as it's raining, because she is so thin and therefore has little or no body fat...her coat isn't in the best condition either. Should I put her out and make sure she knows where the shelter is, or keep her in the hutch for a day or two yet. It's only a 4x2 but she is a tiny little girl and as far as I know she has only ventured out of the sleeping area to eat her dinner! Advice/reassurance needed. Thanks all:D

When I got Tia, the rescue told me she'd barely eaten in the weeks they'd had her, and when I got her into my guinea pig madhouse she stopped altogether, and wouldn't even venture out of her litter tray - I had to hold the drinking bottle to her mouth a couple times a day and put her food dish in the tray. She wouldn't eat veg except for a nibble of carrot.

So I would say they are quite high strung as a breed, and you should leave her to settle in for a few days or risk her going into total stasis.

Today we have torrential rain forecast, and my bunnies never go on grass anyway - so they won't be leaving their hutches at all today - I can't imagine they enjoy going out in this weather and of course if they get wet, they get chilled.

Normally I let my rabbits out for half an hour in the morning, shut them up with a big bundle of hay, and an hour in the evening - the rest of the time they are in their very nice and roomy hutches and seem to be happy with that as they snooze during the middle of the day anyway, and eat their poops.

Thanks, Elve.:) You confirmed what I was thinking. I'll go and pull some grass for her instead. She seems a gentle wee thing, but of course that may be fear!! I'll put one pic up here now, and start a pic thread in the Stories and Photos section.
DSC02898.jpg

Just wanted to say, she is soooo cute!!!

My nethie is absolutely tiny! he had e.cuniculi when very young and his growth has been totally stunted but this does not stop him. He's got loads of confidence and bounds about the garden (escapes at any opportunty to go under the shed!).

i think she'l just need time to gain some confidence. Also i'm sure she'll be just fine in a cage of that size.

xxx

awwwww, she's adorable.

Mickey (R.I.P) used to go out in any weather, even snow, he was a hardy little one. But I think beings as this little one is new to you, thats it'll be best to leave her in the hutch.

Vikki:wave:

It's been glorious here this afternoon..warm and sunny, so I put her in the small run at 2pm, and it was was lovely to see her exploring the space. I'd put tunnels and a hay box in there for her. I'm glad the weather was warm enough to risk putting her out as she was pretty static in the hutch. But she's been nibbling on grass and going in and out her shelter. She has a most peculiar gait though, in that she seems to hop with her back legs but walk with the front ones. If the weather's good tomorrow I'll put her out again and try to take a clip so you can see what I mean. I'm going to get her in now as I don't want her outside when the temp begins to drop around 4.30-5.

I wish it was sunny and warm HERE today!!!:roll: It has been cold and absolutely TORRENTIAL rain for most of the day! I have gotten soaked through to the skin three times so far.:?

MY tiny Nethie does NOT like to get wet.....so he never ventures forth when it is raining!!!:lol:

Nia is LOVELY!!!!!:D

Im so glad the weather was ok, because I was worried that she wasn't moving about enough while in the hutch. However, as soon as her feet touched the grass she was a changed bunny! She doesn't appear to be missing her piggy friends, and she's eating really well. She also had a long drink from her water bowl as well, so at least I can get rid of the drippy bottle!!

Back