• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis UD dental. Shes ok, eating small amounts!

~bailey~

Mama Doe
Think my girlie has stasis :( She refused SS about an hour ago, which never happens. Felt her tummy which didn't feel all that different to normal. Gave it a rub and let her escape again. A few minutes later caught her to give her infacol and I think her tummy felt 'flatter' again as it were. Called the emergency vet who said i was ok to administer metacam, metaclop and zantac. Shes had metacam. I don't know whether to see if she will eat on her own or whether to give her the gut stimulants straight away. I've had no sign of this coming. No hair in poos, was eating a couple of hours ago. I don't know if shes eaten something weird or not. Had a good chew of vine and apple wood today. I don't want to give her the stimulants incase there is a blockage but the vets said that bunnies don't really get blockages? :? Typically the emergency vet had to be the one i dont like :roll:

Last edited:
Forgot to say, a couple of poos popped out when she was running away as i tried to catch her and they looked fine, big and fairly golden. I don't understand :? :( The vet said she had tiny spurs when she went for her jab a few weeks ago but he didn't seem worried. Is it normal for them to stop eating suddenly if their teeth hurt? Shes been munching happily up until a few hours ago :(

Poor girl :cry:
Stasis usually happens slowly, starting with reduced GI motility (less poo, poos very small and hard) but bloat can come on rapidly.

Yes, a sore mouth can make a Bun suddenly stop eating.

I hope she will soon feel better

Janex

Shes passed a bit of poo now, haven't seen her wee yet, but she hasn't drunk much. She was in the tray earlier so its possible she has though. I syringed her some water (carefully) earlier and will do a bit more when my OH can help as she runs at the sight of me now :( Woke him in slight hysteria about 4:30 :roll: :oops: Shes had a few pellets (I know hay would be better but she won't touch anything but the SS), but shes rather quiet still :( Had the odd hop around though, partly because shes made to. Shes decided I'm the enemy (what with all the syringing) and has only taken food off the OH so far. Plus Bailey keeps going round and pinching the pellets I leave by her :lol:
It must be her teeth making her mouth sore :( I'll book her an appointment to check them out. I've seen no other symptoms of teeth pain otherwise I would have taken her sooner :? Would it be better to wait until she is eating more (and giving pain relief still) before a vet trip? She doesn't eat in the car or the vets and it would mean she wouldn't be eating for about an hour to an hour and a half. Or is it better that they see her asap? I'm assuming they wouldn't do her teeth until her tummy was better anyway?

In my experience, signs of stasis can come on alarmingly fast, but I do normally get to pick up on the early signs these days (therefore full stasis takes longer). Hope your bunny is improving.

I would get a Vet to check her today. She is still nibbling a bit and has done a few poos so she is not yet in full stasis. *If* she has a sore mouth her guts wont improve as she wont eat much and will be in pain

She may also need Metoclop via injection so if you only have the oral meds that's another reason to get her to the Vets

Good luck and please let us know how she gets on

Janex

*If* she has a sore mouth her guts wont improve as she wont eat much and will be in pain

She may also need Metoclop via injection so if you only have the oral meds that's another reason to get her to the Vets

I told the vet that, I didn't think I was wrong! Her only response was 'well its teeth are probably hurting' (despite the fact I said she about a thousand times). To which my answer was 'yes, but if she is going into stasis then she won't absorb oral medications' :roll: Stupid vet, typical that it would have to be the rubbish one on call tonight :evil:

It sounds like mouth pain to me, Evo's comes on very quickly, and he's very sensitive to it so it doesn't matter if the spurs are only teeny still. I find that when his teeth are hurting, he will go for his food, hungry as normal, but turn his nose up when he goes to eat it.
If I were you, I would try and get an early vet appointment, I know my vets fit Evo in the same morning to have his teeth done. He then has metaclopramide and a painkiller afterward.

I have a 11:10 appointment, but the receptionist said to go in early if I was worried and they would fit me in. I'm going to leave it an hour to let the traffic clear so they're not in the car for ages and then go.
Is it ok to have a GA done on a bunny who already has stasis? Wouldn't it make them worse or would it make no difference seeing as they already have it?

Hope it all goes well for you at the vets.

Caspian was 'off' for a couple of days before he went into stasis and severe bloat but once it actually started he was very ill within the space of about two hours and had me running to the vets in a panic :oops: .

Well it is her teeth :( I got there about an hour early and I saw a lovely vet :love: who I have never seen before. He said there were spurs all over her teeth and that she probably has an ulcer on her tongue although he couldn't see it. He explained everything in lots of detail and really reassured me. He also ignored my crying aside from to give me a tissue :lol: He said her tummy wasn't bloated :) So hopefully her tum will be ok, fingers crossed. I'm shocked at how suddenly her teeth became a problem! I've seen no signs like drooling, watery eyes, inability to eat (anything but!) or anything. She does drink quite a bit though, I think I remember this being a possible indicator of teeth problems? But shes drunk lots since I had her when her teeth weren't bothering her. The rescue said her teeth were fine :roll: but then I was told I could clip her insisors with pliers :shock: I've been saying to my OH for the last few days that shes seemed a bit different, can't put my finger on why though. Mind you, I worry constantly so I just happen to have been proven right this time, forget about all the times I worried and they were fine :lol:
Hopefully I should get a call in a few hours, sorry for going on, feels good to offload :oops:

Caspian was 'off' for a couple of days before he went into stasis and severe bloat but once it actually started he was very ill within the space of about two hours and had me running to the vets in a panic :oops: .

I think they enjoy scaring us! Keep us on our toes, that kind of thing :lol: How is he doing now? Hope hes recovering well :)

He is OKish but he was on 6 different medications and also 2-3 injections a day for 3 days.

We have some healthy poop now and he is eating fine but I can still hear his tummy making that blasted sound :?

We know there is an underlying cause to his problem but want to wait for him to recover more thoroughly before subjecting him to a GA.

Hope Luna is feeling more comfortble after her dental, I know Fiver was so much happier literally straight after coming round from his.

Aw poor little guy having to take all that medicine :( And poor you for having to administer it! I hope you find out the cause soon and thats its easily treatable :) Bunnies are such a worry :roll:
Luuna is awake and recovering and I can go and pick her and Bailey up in a couple of hours :D I have an appointment with last night's emergency vet... :oops: Shes the one who did her dental too. Trust me to keep waking up the vet who would later be operating on one of my bunnies :roll: :lol: I'm kinda hoping she won't put two and two together... :oops:

Glad she's come through it ok! Evo doesn't have any of the classic symptoms, such as bad eyes or drooling either, it just comes on all of a sudden.

Glad she's come through it ok! Evo doesn't have any of the classic symptoms, such as bad eyes or drooling either, it just comes on all of a sudden.

Thanks :) I thought it was weird there were no symptoms, glad to know its not unusual! Well, symptoms would be better obviously, but you know what I mean :p I was considering going to the emergency vet last night, but she perked up a bit and I'm glad I didn't now as it would have been unnecessary stress for her and pointless money loss for me! Would you believe that the after midnight emergency callout fee for my vets is £110! :shock: :shock:

Glad she is Ok :D

I have just heard that Charlie can be picked up at four and Zulu has no problems with his eye so its been a good day all round.

I have just heard that Charlie can be picked up at four and Zulu has no problems with his eye so its been a good day all round.

Excellent news :)
Well she is home, looks rather dazed and I don't think she has eaten anything yet. Bailey is eating for England though! I did send what seemed like half a bale of hay with them so I don't know what they did with it all! She had some more painkiller and I have gut stimulant to give her and fibroplex (sp?) because the vet said her tummy felt a bit doughy. I also have some powdered Oxbow recovery food. She is still grinding her teeth though :? :(

Could she be doing that because her mouth feels different?

Was her tongue or cheeks ulcerated?

Could she be doing that because her mouth feels different?

Was her tongue or cheeks ulcerated?

My OH suggested that too, I hope thats all it is, she can't have more painkillers for ages yet. She didn't have any ulcers anywhere so I'm not having to give antibiotics either :D I'm not really sure why she is reluctant to eat. Shes passing teeny poos. The only thing she has willingly accepted from me so far is a papaya tablet :lol: Unfortunately I don't have anything else sweet to offer her. Shes had a teeny bit of SS which I broke into pieces and put in her mouth, but it took a while for her to eat :( I don't want to distress her too much though :( I'm going to try some of the recovery food in an hour or so, maybe see if she will accept a bit of hay at the same time. I had to put the fibreplex on my finger and rub it on her front teeth to get her to eat it! Little monkey was just spitting it out when I syringed it! :lol:

Caspian loves the stuff he has eaten the end of the syringe cuz it wasnt coming out fast enough for him.

How long has she been round from the GA? Charlie came round at about 2pm but hasnt woken up properly yet....just had a nibble on some lettuce so far and flopped in his litter tray.

Back