• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rescues....

do you scan rabbits for identichips?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, stray rabbits only.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Yes, all rabbits that are brought in.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • We would if we had a scanner onsite.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
and other animal carers such as nurses, animal wardens and pet shop staff scan a stray rabbit for an identichip when they are brought in?

Also, do you have your own scanner and have you thought of getting certified to chip yourself so that you can chip each bun that is rehomed?

Just interested to know :D

I have thought about chipping the rescue bunnies so that should they get lost they are always registered to us.

However not enough people scan for chips so money wise its just not a good investment at the moment. I have had three strays in and they have never been scanned.

I have never had a 'pet' rabbit brought in and been informed it is chipped either.

I would be interested in what people have to say about this too :) I was very suprised when my vet scanned Luuna. I had told him she was a rescue bunny and one of the first things he did was scan her for a chip (her last owners abandoned her at a vet surgery - so no chip). I have considered getting my two chipped, but they never go outside and I have heard that the RSPCA don't routinely scan so there doesn't seem to be much point :?

Most vets have scanners so there is no reason rescues couldn't request scans when neutering/vaccs are done. I know some blue cross/rspca centres chip rabbits.

Tam

Most vets have scanners so there is no reason rescues couldn't request scans when neutering/vaccs are done. I know some blue cross/rspca centres chip rabbits.

Tam

Yes I heard some RSPCA centers do chip but they dont routinely scan for them, which seems a bit contradictory.

A long time ago we were going to get the pet bunnies chipped but after asking around we realised if they did escape the chances of them actually being scanned was very small indeed so didnt go through with it.

Thanks for the input :D

I ask because I have always chipped my buns and I know how many vets/rescues im in contact with don't scan or chip!

I get mine done anyway, just incase my bun, should he/she go missing, is lucky enough to fall into the hands of someone who thinks of scanning them!:lol:
Our surgery scans all buns.
There are now petshops that identichip and my local RSPCA branch do all animals for £10 which is fab.

I really feel there should be more focus on this as how many people have had an escaped bun never to return or their bun taken or found my someone else and that person refusing to give it back to the original owner? The identichip, if rabbits are routinely scanned, will help establish ownership and hopefully reunite a large proportion of escapees and owners!

But like many of you have said, it seems currently pointless to chip when hardly any places scan!
But we can change that ;)

Also if you were to go on the short course to become an implanter the actual cost of the scanner and chips are quite cheap and over time this cost could be recuperated through the donation given by adding say £5 to the donation fee. (When I was chipping for the local council the chips worked out at £3 each when bought in a pack of 100, local rescues could even share the cost of one box, and we charged £10, but im not sure how much they would cost now!)

the problem Leanne is most strays are dumped..not lost pets:cry:

Rescues struggle for funds anyway and adding another £5 to the costs on each bun would be out of the question for most small independent rescues.

Adding on to the donation gets difficult as there is a limit to what most people would reasonably expect to give and not everyone would want a chip in their pet.

It would be interesting to know how many strays each rescue does get in and how many are reclaimed.

the problem Leanne is most strays are dumped..not lost pets:cry:

Rescues struggle for funds anyway and adding another £5 to the costs on each bun would be out of the question for most small independent rescues.

Adding on to the donation gets difficult as there is a limit to what most people would reasonably expect to give and not everyone would want a chip in their pet.

It would be interesting to know how many strays each rescue does get in and how many are reclaimed.

Yes there are lots of problems :(
I should have put in it would depend on the rescues finances :oops: Some are luckier than others and I guess if the rescue is in a more affluent area it may work but if the rescue is in an area of 'low waged' residents its hard enough getting the cost of vacc and neutering covered in a donation!

In all the time ive done rehoming and worked at the surgeries I can't think of ONE stray bun reunited with their owner :? Im really wracking my brain!

We did re unite one..came to us via a vet where it had been taken after being found..the owner contacted vet and then came and collected her:D

I think if a genuine GOOD owner, really did accidentally lose their rabbit, they would be out doing everything possible to find it. If the rabbit was still alive it probably wouldnt have been able to travel far, so I think flyers and posters would be more useful than a chip. Its not like a cat that can climb into a car and travel 50 miles before getting out or a dog that just keeps running.

I think chipping is a good idea, but more for proof of ownership, so that someone cant just dump their unwanted rabbit, theyd have to go throught the correct procedure and face the consequences if they did.

We are pretty certain all the strays we had were dumped......

Harley especially....rabbit dont get into that condition over a few days in the wild :cry:

Benson & Brodie were intact brothers (we think) and had obvious signs of fighting.....very doubtful they just 'happened' to escape too.

i was going to get mine chipped and then my mum pointed out that the chance os the being found was alot slimmer than a cat or dog, and then the person who found them would have the 'give them up'# and some people would probably 'keep them' and if they WERE foudn by someone honest, most vets/rescues dotn even scan for them, so it was such a slim chance

I am a qualified chipper :D Chips are very cheap, and rescues get discount when they buy them, the expensive thing is the scanner - £80 my aunt paid for hers!! :shock:

I must admit that we do scan stray's but it tends to be single buns rather than if we get a group in, there seems little point in that case as they are normally dumped buns.

I have here at the moment 5 stray rabbits that have all arrived in the last month:( :shock: 3 of those where found in the same box.

I do think that Doncat5 has a point that if every rabbit leaving a pet shop,rescue or breeder was chipped then it would either make owners think before dumping them or make them re-home them in the correct way.

Of course if there was no punishment(so to speak) for dumping an animal even though it was chipped and proved to belong to that person then, there would be little point in even chipping them. So it once again comes down to who would police the scheme and deal with the offenders.:? :)

I agree with Doncat and Tracy -if there was a suitable repercussion for dumping your unwanted pet then chipping would be a good idea, but then again there's the opposite side of the coin and rabbits end up living in squalor because the owner is too scared to do anything else with them :? Of my 16, Jacob, Shadow and Ginger who came from RSPCA at Weoley Castle are chipped but none of the others. I too don't think it's worth the cost and effort as yet.

Back