• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caramel's breathing...& what does nodule look like?

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
As you know her nodular myxi has given her one lesion by her nose and a snuffle.... she kinda whistles a bit through her nose when she breaths and is doing so loudly at the minute as she is rather keenly munching on greens.... so I can't even look to chk... she also breaths out in like a sneeze, that isn't a sneeze to clear it sometimes... Vet knows and isn't worried, however is she getting enough oxygen, would she mouth breath if she wasn't and isn't mouth breathing a terrible sign anyway, so if she mouth breathed that would be bad??? :? :? :? :? :?

Last edited:
I know your heart ache Ebuny is still recovering and it's been a month now and he has it. I listen every night and worry so much for him. I hope in time it will all be better. Just keep faith in your vet it is all that has kept me going.

Hi Jacqui... right now I am going loony with worry... does yours have any lesions? Caramel only has one on the corner of her nose but it is getting bigger and bigger.... and the root is black and firmly welded into the skin????

I have had many to deal with. A huge one has been there since the start. He stopped breathing once and I had to rip one off to open his nose. I was in agony deciding but he couldn't breath. I thought I had lost him, but he sniffed a few times and then sighed with relief. I went for an old one so I knew it would be minimal bleeding which luckily it was. The others eventually died off and I peeled and soaked them off. Just keep soaking and clearing what you can.

She only has one but it is right on the corner of her nose....but she is also very snuffly... the root is all black and it seems bigger but I think it is where it is growing out of the skin. I am just concerned as she had a course of baytril and is on nothing now. When I took my foster buns in for checks etc today, I asked the vet if having her on nothing was right and she said that we need to see how she is in 7 days and if she is no better, to put her back on something else... she has had (touch wood) a much milder form than Ebuny, but it is still terrifying to go through isn't it. Especially as I lost Caramel's 2 hutch mates last month to this.

She is making these blowing noses out of her nose every now and then this morning and I am almost hysterical???? She is eating and everything but her nose is obviously bothering her. I spoke to the vet yesterday and they don't seem concerned... they say they will put her back onto abx if this continues in say 7 days?

Awww poor caramel and poor you! Afraid I don't know what to advise, If you are unsure of your vets course of action don't be afraid to seek a second opinion? Sorry I can't help but I'm thinking of you and sending lots of vibes xx

Oh right...well if she has got worse since finishing her course of baytril I would hassle the vets for something else, If she's staying the same maybe hang on a few more days? Wish I could be of more help :(

Hi :wave:
I also live in lincoln which vets are you going too? my two buns had this one has totally gotten over it floss is still ill but getting better. If i can help in any way just let me know

She needs to be on Baytril everyday. When samson had myxi 2 years ago he was on baytril everyday for 3 months. The baytril is to stop any secondary infections, as with myxi it isn't the pox virus which could kill them it's the secondary infections usually phneumonia. Any bunny with Myxi needs to be on daily antibiotics and perhaps other drugs to help with other aspects.

Just spoken to vets AGAIN... they say that cos she is so well they don't want her on treatment and if she is same in a weeks time they may consider putting her back on something :?

Thats lincvet thats the one i go to there are usually very good i know mr lee is a very experienced vet is it him that you have seen ? floss is on baytril has been for about 6 weeks i wounder why your bunny isnt on baytril. if you haven't seen mr lee yet i'd ask to see him :?

Thats lincvet thats the one i go to there are usually very good i know mr lee is a very experienced vet is it him that you have seen ? floss is on baytril has been for about 6 weeks i wounder why your bunny isnt on baytril. if you haven't seen mr lee yet i'd ask to see him :?

I saw Mr Way.... and the new Sth African Vet and the little dark haired girl... they say it is because she isn't very poorly.

The dark haired girl is called miss ramsey she was the one who first saw floss when i took her and muffin. Mr way is a good vet also hes very experienced too. Am not sure what i think to the south african bloke jury is still out on that one

This was the South African girl... she seems real nice... Mr Way seemed to think that she should not be on anything?

OOh not met the south african girl theres a bloke i've met. If Mr Way dosen't think your bun should then i'd go with him for now but if theres no improvement soon i'd go back and ask for some baytril. If i can be of any help since i'm so close just let me know

Back