• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could be wrong with Roger?

cannonwoman

Warren Veteran
I went round to trim one of my mum`s neighbours rabbits claws today. He was originally owned by an elderly lady but sadly she recently passed away & is now being cared for by her neighbours.
He was diagnosed a while back with molar spurs but hasn`t had them burred as he continues to eat well, his incisors are fine. But when i turned him over to check him he absolutely stank of urine!:( He is fed on mix but has constant access to hay & goes out in the run daily, there were no signs of sticky bottom of flystrike.
I just couldn`t get over the strong stench of urine & he did have yellow staining on his tail. As far as i`m aware he`s not been to the vets for any illnesses apart from having his teeth checked but i`m just wondering if he could be incontinent? & how do i broach it with his new owners?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Su.x

could it be a uninary infection of some sorts or something? Like cystisis but rabbit version? There is another thread on this with lots of people who seem to know about this stuff.

I think I'd just be totally up-front about it. You're not criticising them, as such, and they need to know. You weren't snooping on him either, so they should be relieved to know something's wrong. Is he a lone bunny?

Yes he is a lone bunny & very well endowed too!:oops: Unfortunately i don`t think they`d be prepared to get him neutered, I will try & speak to them tomorrow about getting him checked by the vet & hopefully they`ll be able to get it sorted for him.

He`s such a handsome boy:love:

Su.x

What kind of hay is he eating? If there are lots of dandelions etc in his diet maybe that won't help as they are diruetics. Glad there is no sign of sticky bottom but maybe still has a problem cleaning down in that region. I would try a little sugar-free cranberry juice in the water. As for the new owners, just be honest with them

Back