• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible to make...

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
something safe for my buns to dig and burrow in?

My rabbits have free run of my garden all day as I am a stay at home mum. We had the fences replaced last week which is great as it has made the garden secure (we had all sorts of set ups to keep them in the garden before, lol!). The problem is that they losened the ground where they put the gravel boards in and Biscuit has taken the opportunity to try and dig his way to the centre of the earth it seems :lol: . He has started digging a hole under the shed, hit a brick wall straight ahead and a gravel board to the left, so I found that he had decided to turn right and just keep burrowing. I put my hand in and just as I got in upto my armpt, I reached the end of the tunnel. For now, I have bricked it off. Now I feel guilty that I am stopping him from doing what comes naturally.

Is there anyway to build something safe that he can burrow in, like he would in the wild? I want to be able to get to him easily incase he (or Twix) take ill, but I feel that they should be allowed to spend some time burrowing and digging. What I need is a giant version of those ant or termite tanks, lol! I though about making a large raised bed, but bottoming it out with mesh so he can't dig out the bottom and just havign a tunnel lead in. Then they can dig away and I can turn the dirt over at the end of the day, so they can start again. Is it possible? Is it a good idea to let them make tunnels ect? I just think that now that he has got a taste, he will keep trying to dig out of the garden, I would hate to have to enclose him in his run, he's not used to it.

you can provide a digging box. It's a high-sided box with newspaper or soil in it so they can dig to their little hearts content.

I though about making a large raised bed, but bottoming it out with mesh so he can't dig out the bottom and just havign a tunnel lead in. Then they can dig away and I can turn the dirt over at the end of the day, so they can start again. Is it possible? Is it a good idea to let them make tunnels ect? I just think that now that he has got a taste, he will keep trying to dig out of the garden, I would hate to have to enclose him in his run, he's not used to it.

Our buns have pretty much exactly what you have described, a large bed raised about two foot and going down about three foot, it has a base of concrete and paving slabs. I don't know whether technically they should be encouraged but they do absolutely love the opportunity to dig, but be warned it does seem to be contagious, before the Blobby's turned up none of mine dug, now both Evelyn and Daphne are compulsive diggers.

how about making him a tunnel out of harboard....give him a couple of exits and a dark corner where he can have a good dig.

Mine also like to dig in their carboard house.

you can also buy tent like tunnels that they like to run through.

Back