• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oat hay recommendations

Rabbers

Mama Doe
I remember a thread a while back where we discussed the new style Burns Oat hay and how our buns don't eat it as much.
Did anyone get the Bunnybasics oat hay? Is it more like the old style Burns (i.e. thicker strands, unchopped?).

Thanks!

Wish I'd seen that thread before buying two bags. I was really annoyed to see it's different, and Audrey won't eat the short strands aggh!

Last edited:
i know exactly how you feel - the week before the thread popped up I bought 3 bags of the stuff to add to another two i was storing (they were cheap so I decided to stock up!) silly idea - mine hardly eat it at all. They used to wolf it down.

I'm still using it up!

hi, i buy the bunny basics oat hay which is very very long stalks and very pale in colour, preston absolutely loves it.

I then bought some of the burns oat hay which was nothing like the bunny basics. it was dark and short cut. needless to say preston didn't think much of it at all.

i don't know what the original burns was like but the bunny basics stuff certainly looks better and goes down better with preston than the new burns.

oooh, i just had a thought, i will take a pic of the bunny basics stuff and upload it... back in a bit

Mine had the Oat Hay frm Hayexperts dont knwo if thats the one you say yours dont like but mine adore it :D

S6000898.jpg

this is the bunny basics oat hay. hope it helps :D

Last edited:
thank you :)

The photo will be very useful!

I did have a sample pack from the hay experts and I can't remember whether it was the same :roll: I think it may have been the Oxbow stuff though as that was the only type they sold at the time and i think the bunnybasics stuff might be cheaper anyway - well I'm hoping so lol!

I think I'll be ordering the BB one next time.

The hay experts one was terrible! There just ended up being loads of tiny bits and dust in the bottom of the bag that I had to chuck!

Well apparently they changed it on majority consumer opinion

I remember the previous thread. Rosie used to love the Burns stuff, but wouldn't touch it when it changed to short bits. I emailed them and they told me some bunnies were finding it too difficult to eat :?

Anyway, it really useful to see pics of the Bunny Basics stuff :thumb:

Mine adore the Bunny Basics stuff - it's the only hay they actually get excited about. :)

Last time i ordered some BB oat hay it was awful! really brown and dusty and no way were mine eating it!

I'm gutted Burns have changed theirs now :( It was lovely when it was all green and stalky - now that one is just brown and horrid!

i don't know if it's just preston, but he loves to toss the long BB oat hay stalks all around the room before he eats them, it's like a little ritual :)

Last time i ordered some BB oat hay it was awful! really brown and dusty and no way were mine eating it!

Are you sure it was the oat hay as it has never been brown (its green / golden) and is packed by machine so cant be dusty. you must have it confused with something else

I'm def going to order some when i next need bits and bobs!

Bunnybasics - while you're here - when are you hoping to get the readigrass in again? (i've emailed you but just saw you post on here lol!). Thanks!

How long ago did it change? I just emptied a bag of burns oat hay into the oat hay box and thought to myself im getting better at getting it out of the bag without it going all over the shed :oops: But looking at that pic I can remember it did used to be different and I just never noticed :oops: I havent tried this one with the buns yet but I hope they like it

just 2-3 months ago I think. Hayexperts website and also the burns one now state that its softer and chopped.

I did order loads of it last time and that lasted ages with my lot so thats probably why this is the first bag I have got that looks different :D

Mine like the hay experts oat hay as well as burns :D

Back