• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi help update slightly better but please send vibes

bunlover

Warren Veteran
got a phone call from my mum telling me that chelsea has runny eye(looks a bit like conjunctivitus.(message was left on answer phone when i was at work day before yesterday. i only picked message up last night) so i rang her after work at 1am this morn!! lol we talked and i said er does she have any swollen bits genitals/nose... mum said well her nose is a bit inflammed and so she is off to the vets today.

i really hope its not mxyi...am really worried.... but she has been vaccs (last one was in april) so her prognosis should be good if it is that?!

also tried to bond her with another bun a while back and took her to rescue so waiting for vet opinion later today and then if myxi will have to ring the rescue and let them know.... oh no if it is myxi what are the best things mum and me can do to pull her through? she is fine in herself and eating and drinking but today has a small pimple like bit on her nose...as you can imagine am worried as she is 9... :(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:
Oh dear, it sounds like she may have nodular myxi.

I have no experience with this dreadful disease but the fact she is vaccinated much improves her chances. Someone with first hand experience should be along shortly.

Good Luck to Chelsea X

well only the vet we dont like was in today (ours was operating and is fully booked until 2 weeks) and our 2nd choice is away on hol...arghh.... feel so helpless being so far away. mum took her in to see vet who apparently pulled her around a bit and made her squeak and was really rough so my mum told him off i think... then he decided its just conjunctivitus... hmm...he squirted the eye drops into the middle of her eye so she jumped..mum said shouldnt that have gone gently in the bottem of the eye... he said nah with rabbits doesnt matter!!! mum was really angry and im upset about this,...then when mum mentioned myxi he said very unlikely...rabbits who are vaccinated so rarely get the disease i very much doubt it.... when she pointed out the nostral swelling and pimple... he said it was probly from when she had that scrap last week with the bonding, and it was nothing but he did give a baytril inhjection(after complainin that he thought it was a rubbish treatement and at his old vets he used something else)... he then proceded to tell mum if she didnt get better in 10 days then he would happily operate in case it was a tear duct that was blocked...um im not being funny but i freaked out mum was like calm down he is never laying hands on her again i promise... and for this he charged the grand sum of 68 pounds!!! (36 of that was a rabbit consultation!!) our normal vet would never have charged that much ever... money is not the big issue if she is being treated properly but for this sort of consultation mum was not impressed.

she has been checked every hour by mum who agrees with me it "could" still be myxi. but at least she is on eye drops which mum is doing gently at home which chelsea sits good as gold for. and baytril by mouth. so far no change she still eating and hopping around and seems ok in her self so hopefully its all ok...oh and ps... we let the rescue know whats going on so they all updated to keep an eye on the bun we tried to bond her with.

Hi, i'm nursing a bun with this nodular myxi her cage mate also had it but he's pulled though fine now. What i did was started giving them calpol twice a day to help with pain relief and fever control i also gave echineaca to help boost there emune system. If your bun is having problems breathing with a snuffly nose i put a bowl of boiling water just outside there cage and put some vickys vapo rub in it for them to breath in. And i don't know if your bun is a house rabbit but if she lives outside she should be brought in the house while she has myxi. She should also be on baytrill this helps tp fight off any secondy infection so her emune system can conintrate on fighting the myxi the main thing with this is to make sure she eats and drinks they are key to getting her through this baby food is always good to fed her if she goes off her food.
That vet sounds horrid :evil: dosen't sound like he should be a vet at all pulling your poor bun around how would he like it if he were poorly. Any way hope i have been of some use to you good luck

thanx at the mo as i said all she has is a weepy eye and a little pimple and slightly inflamed nose. so IF its mxyi its either early or very mild. she is still eating happily and seems fine in herslef which we take to be agood sign! if there are any changes will let you all know! xx

I too have a bun with nodular myxi.... she is a house rabbit too.... :shock: Caramel has one pimple or lesion that is right next to her nose and a snuffly nose... she has had a course of Baytril and is the same really however the pimple is always changing... it now has a large black root or base to it...Ask your mum to monitor it for any changes and I would consider seeing another vet about a course of treatment....x

I too have a bunny with nodular myxi - it has taken form as a hugh boil on the top of his nose. He is on a course of baytril and I give him metacam for any pain/discomfort he may be feeling. He is much the same, eating and running about - only a little weary when he knows it's medication time.

The spot came up very quickly over the space of a week, I think you will see changes in it quite quickly if it is myxi.

I have also had bunnies with blocked tear ducts and can tell you their noses haven't run with this, only the eye.

I would think about a second opinion, it sounds like the vet isn't rabbit friendly at all.

xx

When mine had it he also had pink spots right inside his ear that the vet looked for.Good luck. Pam

Mxyi Update

mum managed to speak to our normal vet who is very rabbit savvy... who said ok iv got ops all day but i want to see her bring her in in my lunch hour at 1!! so mum took her in (that vet of ours hes the best!!!) he took one look ar her and said nodular mxyi. what a relief to have our norm vet back! mum showed him the new nodules on her neck the pimple on her nose the swelling of her nose and her swollen genitles and weepy eyes. he says she has a nodule in her eye...poor poor chelsea. but he gave her a cuddle n said right as her last mxyi jab was only in may(sorry i thought was april my mistake) that prognosis is good. he said he was pleased with her in herself and that she not having too many breathing difficulties which is good. she now on baytril metacam and on xeno..something... cant think of ftop of head to stop any more flies or midges from biting her (a bit like rear gaurd it is). he said hes only lost one who was vaccinated this year and she has a good prognosis as we got her on baytril straight away... he said that we need to monitor her and if anything changes (as today would be day 5 of the myxi) that he wants to be told... we are to phone him straight away if she goes down hill...he is such a caring vet im soooo glad chelsea saw him today. and we positive he said her nose will prob be scarred for life after its healed and so will hav a funny mark but we dont care about that we love her too much... mum is checkin her every hour or so just to be sure and shes being given plenty of food as our vet doesnt want her to stop eating. oh yeah she also still on eye drops to help the eye i think... bless her she so good to have her medicines too... he recons will be 3 weeks till she better tho so not out of woods yet.stil worrying about her but happy she on the right meds now.

Sorry she has been confirmed with Myxi but take some comfort in having a good and knowledgeable vet onside.

Im glad she is finally getting the help she needs.

More get well vibes coming your way X

thankyou oh and for anyone worried about little zena who was originally being bonded with chelsea.. our vet says nodular myxi is non contageous from rabbit to rabbit but that they are to keep an eye on her as she may have been bitten by a mxyi fly/mozzi.....
we spoke to the rescue and they said she is still fine but they will check her extra carefully!! yes thankyou i hope that my baby gets better soon as poss

and good luck too all the buns who have caught it and are fighting..keep going buns we are all with you..xx

update

well she seems better in herself though she now has more nodules yesterday she really mopped around.... at least she still eating although not as much as normal. poor bun. please send more vibes!

well she seems better in herself though she now has more nodules yesterday she really mopped around.... at least she still eating although not as much as normal. poor bun. please send more vibes!
Hi. Your vet sounds great..just like mine!:lol: Floss is being treated for nodular myxi now(took her to the vet at 1:15 today). The poor thing had Nodular Myxi last September/october, but pulled through, so I'm assuming that as she's on the same treatment as before, she'll be fine this time too.:) I remember from last year that after the eye problem and the first few nodules appeared she had a couple of days when her condition seemed to stabilise, but then she developed tons more of these nodules almost overnight!! So don't panic too much about Chelsea developing more all of a sudden....as long as her other symptoms are unchanged/improving she'll most probably be fine:)

Back