• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder infection

hunnybun

Mama Doe
I have a rabbit in the rescue who has a possible bladder infection, she is very weak anyway as came into the rescue severely neglected. Are there any foods/herbs that I can give her that would help her bladder at all? she has had antibiotics injections and steroid too:( I think I am going to loose her but want to try everything possible. I have given her parsley, but she has more or less stopped eating now :(

Antibiotics *should* work really quickly on bladder infections. I saw improvement within a few days.

The lack of eating needs to be treated as a separate condition, possibly treatment as per GI stasis.

Cranberries are good for bladder problems (although there is no proven link in rabbits). Also Vitamin C is very good for bladder problems in rabbits. You can get combined Cranberry + Vitamin C capsules from health food shops, which can be broken open and sprinkled on food (or recovery food if bunny isn't eating on her own).

Your vet may wish to try Cistaid capsules, which are used for Cystitis.

Good luck, and healing vibes for bunny.

Amy

When Fiver had cystitis he was on 0.6ml baytril X2 dialy for 10 days and we saw an improvement in 4 days.

Is she being treated for EC too? That also causes urinary incontinence.

So sad. Poor Tippi :cry:

If its any consolation, her poor condition may have been caused by renal failure or suchlike, rather than neglect.

Amy

Thanks, she was such a lovely bun and Trio misses her :cry: At least for the few weeks she was here, she was well cared for and loved.

Back