• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arg Vets!!!

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
I'm currently ringing round trying to find a decent vet with more than basic rabbit knowledge. I was advised by the last vet I spoke to that I should look for an Exotic vet, and she recommended 2 half an hour away from where I live, but an hour round trip is a long way when all i want is ear drops!! :roll:

It just irritates me that because I keep rabbits I should have to find an EXOTIC vet - they're not exotic!!! They're the third most popular pet in Britain, when will vets get with it!!!

ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Rant over!!

The RWA should be able to recommend a rabbit savvy vet in your area. I don't think you even have to be a member to see the list of vets any more. :D

Amy

Just checked and you have to be a member, and I'm not :cry:

I did find a vaguely decent vet where I was living before, he spayed my doe ok so i guess I'll see if he has an appointment free this evening, still a 40min round trip though. :roll:

The vet most local to me is allergic to rabbits, fat lot of good that is!!! :roll:

I have a problem with finding a rabbit savvy vet near to me aswell :( I have to travel quite away to my nearest, my poor buns can be in their carrier for just under 3 hours..

'Fraid I'm not a member either :( Perhaps somebody else from RU can enquire on your behalf?

Whereabouts in the country are you? Perhaps somebody knows of a good vet in your area?

Amy

I'm the same :cry: - I cannot find a decent rabbit vet, stupid rural area. :evil:

I'd much appreciate if anyone from NI could tell me if there are any good ones?

If you phone up the RWA and explain that you are looking for a good vet in your area the chances are that you will be given the info. I rang up some time ago and asked if they wanted my membership number first,but the lady said that as far as she was concerned if a rabbit needs a good vet it matters not a jot whether its owner is a member or not,,she always gives out the information.

In all honesty I think i'll stay with the vet I'm using, as much as hes not a rabbit 'expert', hes happy to take on board what I have to say and to try things, which I tend to find is more important as so little is actually licensed for use on rabbits. He seems to have his head screwed on and be very sensible about it all. 20mins in the car each way isn't the end of the world after all and my rabbits are all used to travelling anyway.

One additional perk is hes an Aussie and absolutely gorgeous! :lol: :lol:

Took one of my bucks in last night with suspected ear mites - for him to tell me it wasn't ear mites but I should treat him with the Ivomec I've already got at home just to cover all bases. And I paid £20.68 for that priviledge. The things we do for peace of mind! :roll: :lol:

Back