• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yay! Finally finished revamping shed + new run (Extremely pic heavy)

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
OK please excuse the mega thread but I've been workin hard and I want to extol the virtues of my labour.. :oops: :lol:

The reason for this overhaul is twofold. When we moved house 2 years ago I was forced to gut the bunny shed in order to move it. I had 1 week while the buns stayed at Adele's to get the new area levelled and the shed up (in the snow! Joy! :roll:)

Ever since then the buns have just had the shed with some cardboard boxes + blankets inside to keep them warm. About 2 months later I constructed them a new run so they could get some fresh air and that's how their setup has been ever since. They've been absolutely fine but its not been great cleaning/storage wise etc. Also the insulation didn't travel well and was a bit haphazard to say the least. The whole shed needed an overhaul.

Secondly we have decided to move Elroy and Honey outside too. This is because they have tended to spend more and more time in their room (even though they have the whole of the house to roam around). The only time we see them now is morning and evening when it's their feeding time and they come to "remind" us! :lol:

This in itself isn't a problem per se, but it sort of defeats the object of having house buns - ie spending time with them around the house. They seem to prefer their own company most of the time. :? Also their room gets awfully hot during the summer months as it is upstairs, but they won't come down onto the laminate floor.

So, we decided to split the shed into two. Flump and Sparkle have one side, Elroy and Honey the other. I have also made a new run for Elroy and Honey on the opposite side of the shed.

OK, so here is Flump and Sparkle's original run I made a couple of years ago:
run1.jpg

run2.jpg

First thing I did was paint the shed white in an attempt to keep it cooler still in the summer.
13.jpg

The other side of the shed used to hold ten tonnes of junk and a huge pile of clay, but now I've cleared all that and built another run for Elroy and Honey.
The roofed step lets them sit outside for some fresh air even if it's raining, and I thought they would like the low ceiling anyway as Flump and Sparkle always seem to lie underneath something in the garden.
14.jpg

Everything this side of the small gate is bunnyproofed, so to keep things simple Elroy and Honey's run opens on this side:
15.jpg

And here's the man himself inspecting my handywork this afternoon:
16.jpg

So that was the run done. The shed took a bit longer!

First thing to do was replace the lino, as after 5 years of bunny pee the old stuff was looking a bit worse for the wear. I also learnt from my mistake last time and made sure I bought some with NO RAISED PATTERN! :lol: :lol:

Here is the new floor down. I've done the opening to the new run, and started boxing in Flump and Sparkle's pipe. I've also started completely redoing all the insulation.
1.jpg

For the insulation this time, I've gone a step further and lined the entire shed with aluminium foil, as well as expanded polystyrene. This should hopefully reflect any radiated heat, and so keep it cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. As before, I cover any areas the buns can access with hardboard to stop them eating the polystyrene.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Splitting the shed was going to mean a lot of construction, but I wanted to make it as easy as possible to clean out. To do this I've tried to make as much as possible removable so that we're not trying to bend around awkard corners where you can't fit brushes etc. I also spent a long time deciding on the optimal height for each step. I went a lot lower than last time as I was scared of the buns falling off due to the slippery vinyl, and I also thought they'd like the low ceilings as hidy holes, much like a natural warren.
Here I've started constructing the removable steps on Flump and Sparkle's side.
2.jpg

Continued in next post due to 20 image limit :oops: :oops:

Here's the frame of the first floor complete, and also one of the removable panels. It was awkward in that I had to build in such as way that Flump and Sparkle could still use the shed without killing themselves :roll: :lol:. Each night I would remove everything leaving only the frame and put their boxes back:
6.jpg

First floor bases in:
7.jpg

Second level frame in place and ground floor panels done. You can also see that the wiring is a complete mess from where I hurredly installed it when we moved, and also the dodgy insulation:
8.jpg

And finally Flump and Sparkle's side is complete and they can move into their new home. :D
9.jpg

Elroy and Honey's steps contructed and in place:
10.jpg

And complete bar the vinyl :D
11.jpg

And finally I rewired all the electrics to tidy it up and fit it to the new layout. Also finished revamping the insulation. You'll also notice that despite my wild ideas regarding food dispensors in a recent thread, sanity prevailed and I'm just using a plastic box! :lol:
12.jpg

Just to finish off here is a little animation that shows how easy it is to strip down the hutches for easy cleaning :D. Well chuffed with how it all turned out. The only bit that isn't easily removable is the first floor at the back, as I couldn't figure out an elegant way to keep the panels in place without a fixed baton. No matter, it's easy to clean anyway and if I did need to remove it it's literally two screws.
newshed.gif

So there we go. Sorry for the huge ramble :oops: :eek:ops.
Elroy and Honey were installed this afternoon and seem to have settled in remarkably well, having explored all the hutch and seem to have chosen the top floor to sleep in.

Flump and Sparkle have been out all day so I was expecting ructions from Flump when he went in to find strangers in his domain. However I just went out to find Flump sitting happily in the shed with no fuss at all! Fantastic! :D:D:D

oh my god!! how handy are you with the tools etc!?! and the photo editing!! V. IMPRESSED!!! :lol:

Looks really good, puts my plain shed to shame!! :roll: :lol:

Wow, that's been a big project :shock: Well done, it looks fabulous! Very lucky bunnies :D

But I'm disappointed with the low-tech food dispenser ;) :lol:

Seriously impressed Jeremy! it's obvious that a lot of thought and planning went into that, when can I move into your shed :lol: !

Neil

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow that's absolutely brilliant!! Needless to say we'll be badgering you for help when we move to a place with a garden and want to construct a bunny palace of our own! :thumb:

AMETHYST

It looks beautiful! It's a perfect set up and so well thought out. :)
By splitting their living quarters does one pair get a L shape on the first level and the other pair get the L shape on the 2nd level? I really think they must love having an actual tunnel to the outside.

Thanks everyone. Makes the acheing back worthwhile :shock:

I'm pleased to report all quiet in Bunny Towers this morning, although must admit there was some evil exchanging of stares going on between Elroy and Flump. :shock: :lol:

rosie rabbit said:
But I'm disappointed with the low-tech food dispenser.
Haha! Yeah, I know. Just wanted to get the flippin thing finished TBH :lol:

carasblanco said:
By splitting their living quarters does one pair get a L shape on the first level and the other pair get the L shape on the 2nd level? I really think they must love having an actual tunnel to the outside.
Yup, you've got it. Flump and Sparkle get the L on the ground floor, Elroy and Honey on the first floor. :D

Neil and Maria said:
Seriously impressed Jeremy! it's obvious that a lot of thought and planning went into that, when can I move into your shed
I'll have to put up some more shelving first to house all your lava lamps! :lol:

That is fantastic :p No really it's utterly utterly fantastic :shock: And you're good at computers too :shock: Amazing :D Hope they don't start fighting now they have other buns around - I guess you can just screen them off from each other if they do :)

Back